Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy Surgery on Jun 18th

Preparing for surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy Surgery on Jun 18th

Postby appleapple » 18 Jun 2019, 16:52

Good luck with the surgery!
appleapple
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Tryingtorelax » 18 Jun 2019, 18:20

I’m too doped up to say much but I had LIS and a hemorrhoidectomy (removal of one external hemorrhoid). They removed the hemorrhoid because it was attached to one of my fissures. I had two fissures. When I heard hemorrhoidectomy I couldn’t stop crying because I know that is more painful and a longer recovery so they put some “Valium like” meds in my IV before I left. I’ll update more tomorrow. I will say when I woke up I was sore on my right side (hemorrhoid side), could not feel the LIS side probably because of all the meds he gave me during surgery. Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby chachacha » 18 Jun 2019, 18:28

I would guess that your LIS pain will pale by comparison to the hemorrhoidectomy pain, but on a positive note, I think that your hemorrhoidectomy pain may not be as bad as you might think, because the LIS won't allow any more spasms. The spasms are the most painful part of a hemorrhoidectomy recovery. I had the LIS in 2015 and the the hemorrhoidectomy (all three internal columns) in 2017, and didn't suffer nearly as much as I had expected to. Don't get me wrong. It hurt a lot, but no worse than the pain I'd had before going through with it. Keep us posted as you can and I hope that things go quickly, and well.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Tryingtorelax » 18 Jun 2019, 21:20

I thought I had posted about my surgery today but for some reason I can’t see the post. When I woke up from the surgery my stomach was in burning pain. The anesthesia, the pain meds, and the antibiotic they put in the IV did that to my stomach. It hurt. So they gave me antiacid meds through the IV and crackers and jello to eat. That helped a lot. My surgery pain was just sore. But then they told me I also had a hemorrhoidectomy and I lost it. I cried for 30 minutes. Dumb I know. But I know a hemorrhoidectomy means more pain and a longer recovery. So they gave me a “Valium type drug” (nurse’s words) in my IV. I was able to pee at the hospital and several times since then and that’s gone okay. Just takes a bit of time to pee. The ride home was not bad. I honestly don’t remember it. By the time I got home I was soooooo loopy! But I had calmed down considerably of course. The pain was from my Hem side, not my LIS side. And my LIS side is very swollen but not my hem side. Weird. I know that’ll catch up. I took hydrocodone, ate soup and crackers. Two hours later per doctor’s instructions I took ibuprofen. (I’ve continued to take meds that way the rest of this evening.). The pain finally subsided after that. Up until then the pain was at about a 4. But the doctor also gave me numbing shots to last a few days so I know the worse pain is yet to come when that wears off. I’m grateful for it but I know it’s deceiving as well. And of course there is the dreaded first BM. I’m hoping I can schedule that around the pain meds okay so maybe it won’t be too hellacious. This evening I’ve eaten soup, crackers, jello, and applesauce. I have had about 40 ounces of water and that’s low for me but my sugergy was midday and I couldn’t drink until 3:30. So actually that’s about right for half of a day. I’ve also taken 2 stool softeners. In the morning I plan on taking 2 stool softeners and miralax. I really am afraid I’ll get constipated from the pain meds so wish me luck.
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Postby Tryingtorelax » 18 Jun 2019, 21:26

Chachacha,
I see my first post now. Weird. Thank you for the information and I hope you are right. I can deal with surgery pain but I’m terrified of intense, unrelenting pain.
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Postby Tryingtorelax » 18 Jun 2019, 21:28

Oh and thank you for checking on me. This forum and the support you find is great.
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Postby Tryingtorelax » 19 Jun 2019, 07:24

Post Op Day 2 Morning
Last night I did a sitz bath, then jumped in the shower and washed with antibacterial soap. I took hydro at 8:30 and then ibuprofen at 10:30 last night. Went to bed at about 11:00. At about 3:30 I woke up and took hydrocodone. So I went 5 hours without taking something else and honestly I should have just taken ibuprofen because my pain level is not bad. I’m still trying to gauge that. The balance between fear of pain and fear of constipation is tricky. Went back to sleep, woke up at 6:30. I now know what the numbing shot was-Exparel, which is supposed to last 72 hours. So since my surgery was mid day Tuesday, I’m thinking either Thursday or Friday afternoon will be when the real pain sets in. Today I’m going to try to just take ibuprofen since I’m afraid all this stuff is going to constipate me. Speaking of, no BM yet. The gauze came out this morning, some blood, and gas (TMI but I know some you will appreciate the details when and if you go through it) but no stool. None of that was bad either, no pain, not a lot of blood. I took a sitz bath and showered and washed with antibacterial soap. When I dry off I am using a hair dryer. I just feel it’s easier than patting the area dry because it is very tender to the touch. This morning I’ve eaten oatmeal for breakfast and I took 2 stool softeners and miralax. I am not dealing with pads, I’m wearing disposable underwear. I don’t know which will be best for you all but this so far has just been easier. I am bleeding but it’s not a lot. Going to drink lots of water today of course. I’m sore, from the hem side, not LIS side. The LIS side is very swollen. Looks like grapes. The hem side is not. I’ll update more later.
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 19 Jun 2019, 08:47

Sounds like everything is going very well so far. I used disposable underwear too, after my hemorrhoidectomy, and would also recommend it highly. Keep up the good work!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Tryingtorelax » 19 Jun 2019, 20:54

Post Op Day 2 (actually I think it’s technically day 1) evening
The rest of the day has been pretty uneventful. I’m disappointed that I haven’t had a bowel movement yet. I’d really like to get the first one over...and the second...and the third...so on, so forth. I’m hoping it happens tomorrow. I’ve only taken ibuprofen throughout the day. The Experal shot they gave me is numbing me a lot. But one of the side effects is constipation so I’m super sad about that. For lunch I ate chicken bone broth, ritz crackers, pineapple and a piece of a pear. For dinner I ate mashed potatoes and cooked carrots. I also had jello and a graham cracker. I really am not sure of what else to eat. For now I’m trying to enjoy the effects of the numbing shot and praying for a bowel movement. I’ve had over 70 ounces of water today too. My pain level has been 2-3 today. Not bad. I walked around the house a bit and took 4 sitz baths. I used an ice pack for a little while. I’ve showered and used antibacterial soap. I’m hoping for a good nights sleep.
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Postby Pzgre » 19 Jun 2019, 20:55

Hope all goes well!!!
Pzgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 1