Healed with LIS/fissurectomy

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Re: Healed with LIS/fissurectomy

Postby Ever the Optimist » 08 Aug 2013, 14:18

Resume,
It's truly great to read of your healing success and yes, you have healed incredibly quickly, which will surely inspire lots of others reading this post and hopefully, reassure others that surgery is not as bad as a lot of people fear......
Keep up the great work and truly hoping you never have this issue to contend with ever again!!
All the very best to you!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby GeorgeCuster » 08 Aug 2013, 15:41

Nothing but respect,Resume! You battled back and beat your AF. For someone who suppressed the issue for 10 months it's awesome to hear success stories. I went to my general doctor and about 5 minutes later he was circling a surgeons number and saying it was pretty bad. I feel that the conservative measures won't help. The hard part for me is knowing that my recovery will not happen on its own, so I'm wasting time I could spend working towards a resolution. I can grit my teeth and take some pain, sweat some bullets, but I won't endure both only to be stuck in a state of perpetual anxiety. That felt good to say. The only aspect I'm honestly afraid of anymore is being knocked out-I would like to avoid it and stay awake if possible. But again, that's not something worth thinking about.
I guess what I'm really getting at is that I will soon get a surgery date and the hardest part for me will be walking in. In the meantime I will relax and try to use it as an opportunity to stay positive under very stressful conditions. What a incredibly frustrating thing a AF is. I can't control anything but my mindset.
GeorgeCuster

Topics: 1

Postby inneedofahealing » 08 Aug 2013, 15:42

It is so wonderful to read your story and see that you are healed!! I have been dealing with an anal fissure on and off for 6 years.  This support group and reading the success stories has made me more at peace with getting the LIS. I had my first doctors appointment today and my LIS is scheduled for this Monday! I am suprisingly not as nervous as I thought I would be. I just hope it helps to give me my life back and I dread the BM afterwards most.  He also said that he aims for a closed LIS but in some cases he is forced to do an open LIS. That is scary! I hope he doesn't have to do an open one Image I hope everything goes well for me and that this is the beginning of the end for this stupid fissure.
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby resume » 08 Aug 2013, 16:55

I'm so happy for you inneedofhealing! The bm after surgery isn't as bad as the fissure pain. You'll see. :) I'm sure everything will go great! Please keep us updated!
I like your straightforward approach Custer. No messing around with you! :) I have heard that being completely out improves your healing though. I know it's hard to relax but soon enough it will be over and you will start healing. My surgeon and the anesthesiologist kept telling me on the day of the surgery, "Congratulations! Today is a great day for you!" And I couldn't agree more.
Luka I did not get mine through constipation either. I think I may have first gotten it when I had my daughter 7 years ago but it healed quickly. Odd enough I had a bout of diarrhea that caused the recent fissures to flare up. I also suffered from depression and anxiety not too long ago. I had taken Lexapro and sought counseling and now I'm doing better. I'm so glad I could help! This forum has been beyond helpful to me and I am so happy to give back however I can! :D Please keep us updated Luka!
Thanks again ETO! Your encouraging and inspiring words helped get me through all of this! Image
resume
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby ladiluckii » 09 Aug 2013, 11:49

My doctor did 7 total surgeries on me. I had the THD procedure done, a hemorhoidectomy, fissurectomy, LIS, removal of pallups, pile removal etc. I had my surgery on July 19 and it is Aug 9. I was doing great the first few weeks, I really thought I was seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Now I'm not so sure. I think I had a harder than normal BM and yesterday the blood coming out was severe. I was scared. I use baby wipes after each BM, and I put on Desitin (Zinc Oxide) to protect the area. The Desitin does give me some relief esp when I'm going to the bathroom but I'm starting to feel exactly how I felt before having the procedure. This morning there wasn't any blood that I saw on the wipes when I had a BM so I'm hoping that that is a good sign that I may be back on track to healing a little bit. I'm about to put myself on a soft food diet only for the next month and see if that has any impact on my healing. I think it will. I go to have a check up with the doctor on Tuesday. I really hope I'm feeling a little better by then.
ladiluckii

Topics: 1

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Aug 2013, 14:51

Wow Ladi!
7 Surgeries - that's a LOT! and it's such a short time after your last.....Take it easy and give yourself some proper recovery time. It's going to take a while I'm sure........
It might be worth you reposting this and starting your own thread too as more people will able to respond.
Absolutely stick with the soft foods for as long as you need them and drink lots, also try lubricating with Vaseline before you go because that really helps. All the very best to you........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby resume » 09 Aug 2013, 16:14

Wow you had a lot done ladiluckii! I'm surprised they did all of it at once! About the second week of my recovery I would get that familiar pinch feeling during bowel movements. Not bad but enough to worry me! It went away about a week later. Drink LOTS of water and add a little fiber to your diet if you haven't. Are you taking a stool softener?
Setbacks happen don't lose hope. Its still early in the recovery.. especially for every thing you had done! Glad you get to see the Dr soon. This will pass!
resume
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Resume1 » 13 Nov 2013, 09:52

Hi all. This is resume but I lost my login information so I created another userID. Anyway I thought I would update on how things are going since it's been about 3 months.

Things had been going great up until last week. I had a retear of one of my fissures. It was the classic sharp pain feeling with blood on the toilet paper. I have been under a lot of stress in my marriage and have not been eating the greatest. I always drink enough water but if you aren't eating the right foods I guess it doesn't matter. I was devastated! I kept thinking "I can't go through this again!" So I went back to my fissure friendly diet and reintroduced a magnesium supplement at bedtime. The magnesium made my stools perfectly soft right away thankfully. The first two days I had blood on the tp. The third day it hurt a little but no blood. The fourth day there was hardly any pain and on the 5th day everything was back to normal! No pain!

I just want you all to know that after surgery retears can happen but because of the LIS, the fissure healed so quickly! I am so thankful I had it done! So if you are considering the surgery please don't be afraid. It is truly life changing and absolutely worth it!

All the best to all of you! Hang in there.. there is light at the end of the tunnel! :)
Resume1

Postby Tryingtorelax » 30 Jun 2019, 19:54

Resume, how are you now several years after surgery? How is your diet? Are you able to exercise?
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Resume1 » 05 Sep 2021, 05:48

I am doing wonderful! I have had no issues at all! I can eat what I want (I am currently on a low carb high protein diet) and I have returned to normal exercise. There have been situations that have tested the old fissure site - especially with this temporary diet I'm on - but I have had no problems.

The surgery was truly a blessing for me! I highly recommended it for anyone who has been dealing with a stubborn fissure.

I have been fissure free for 8 years!

Hang in there everyone! There IS light at the end of this tunnel.
Resume1