Post LIS Help Please!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Post LIS Help Please!!

Postby JulsPain » 07 Aug 2019, 12:35

Hi Ap093,

So I had my follow up and my surgeon didn’t reallt “look” too much in there, I just told her I had itching and a bit of pain and she said it was all from the wound of the tag removal.

I’m still not convinced that I’m healing because I’m on day 20 and I’m having a bit of pain similar to the fissure pain and it’s so hard to tell if it’s from the tag removal or not because the tag was directly on the fissure as my surgeon explained.

Still doing stool softeners. I went to the bathroom last night and despite everything being ok movement wise, I had a bit of bleeding. That upset me so much I honestly had a hard time sleeping as I haven’t had any bleeding since day 3 or so after surgery. Hoping it’s still the wound.

I also went to the bathroom this morning and had some burning but no blood. Had some spicy food yesterday so I’m PRAYING that’s what caused the burning and not spasms/fissure pain.

What brand stool softeners are you taking? I’m taking Colace, 2 pills a day before bed.
I thought I would be okay without taking them but honestly just scared at this point and don’t want to see more blood.
JulsPain
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby Thorgrim » 13 Aug 2019, 20:04

Hey Juls,
Be prepared for lots of weirdness for a long time to come, I had LIS 10/18 and still get lots of weird feelings. It sounds like you are on the right track, I didn't have any blood after day five or six post op, but then had a little bit come back a few days later. If you had a tag removed I believe your recovery could be a little longer. My diet is no longer as limited as it was before surgery, but I do have to watch what I eat in a different way now, not sure exactly but certain acid foods will really burn coming out (especially alcohol and foods containing capsacin) and then my butt will burn for days, I think it is the scaring from surgery mostly- the skin and nerves are not the same anymore. I have excepted that I probably will never be the same. Keep up with the stool softeners and good diet and stay away from really acidic foods and I think you will be feeling better soon
Thorgrim
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby JulsPain » 17 Aug 2019, 22:44

Hi Thorgrim!

Thanks for the input. It’s been about 5 days since the pain began and it hasn’t resided :(

I’ve upped my colace a bit, and not having ANY white bread, red meat or dairy until this goes away. I think I eased up a bit and had a day of “lax” eating where I had some ice cream and chips and here we are :(

I’m just so confused how fast this new pain started. It’s directly opposite of my first fissure and my CRS didn’t mention anything about seeing another fissure during the surgery. I only had a small one about the size of a pen tip. I also had some hems excized but the pain is identical to the original fissure.

No bleeding these last few days so I guess that’s good. But this new fissure hurts significantly more than my original.

Went shopping today to keep my mind off of it but it was stinging so much that I almost had a breakdown at the mall.

Made an appointment to see my surgeon but I can only do early morning appointments due to work ( CRS is 2 hours Away) so I have to see her in the morning and make the drive back and her next one isn’t until Sep 9th.
JulsPain
Salt Bather

Postby JulsPain » 06 Sep 2019, 19:52

Had my follow up a couple of weeks ago and my CRS said the fissure definitely isn’t healed and the adjacent pain was an inflammed hemorrhoid.

I’m now about 8-9 weeks out, still having bleeding, itching and that weird achy pain almost every day. BMs don’t hurt too much, but I can definitely feel that I have the fissure all day long.

Doctor prescribed me Nitroglycerin again. I’m honestly having SUCH a hard time dealing with this. I just paid thousands on a surgery with the hopes that I’m not having to apply an $80 cream every day and I’m still nowhere close to healing.

She said what probably happened was a hard stool during my “time of the month” aggrevated the fissure 3 weeks post surgery and the spasms are back.

Seriously?? What is the point of surgery then?? Shouldn’t it have healed within those 3 weeks for good?? Ever since the “re-tear it’s been several weeks with no progress whatsoever and it’s definitely not healing faster as doctors say it should after LIS.

I can’t live like this. I have suicidal thoughts daily and I really can’t picture myself living life like this. I’m only 25 years old, and really don’t know what I did to deserve pain like this.
JulsPain
Salt Bather

Postby ansi2019 » 07 Sep 2019, 08:59

Hey man, don't panic & have some faith.
I made my LIS + tag removed (Hemorrhoid level 2) August 1st too & had hard stool like in day 5 or 6 but thank god everything went well, was in pain couple days after but i'm alright then. Now i'm 36 days out of the surgery & all i have is some itching at like 3 - 4 AM in the morning, it wakes me up to be honest, kind of unbearable & the itching is bad after BM although my BM are softer than Tooth Paste, i use 1 bag of Laxative daily since i'm so strict with my diet, i tend to eat veggies & 1 fruit at night & nothing else. In the morning i eat 4 dried Figs put in the water the day before & drink that water the first thing i woke up (it's great tbh) + i always drink at last 3 liters of water during the whole day.

As for you my man, you should never let your BM hard no matter what it takes, if you had to eat more laxative so'll be it, a friend of mine made it years ago & told me it take 3 to 6 months to feel ok or stop using laxative. For me personally i'm sticking with the plan i'm doing right now since it's working 30 days now & my BM are softer than Tooth Paste. You can't mess with this LIS thing after all, that area is so soft & is not like the other body parts or skin, it takes more time to heal, so bear with it & stop thinking of killing yourself (i won't blame you since i was wishing to die 15 days before the surgery when that Anal Fissure made those days unbearable).

I've been dealing with anal fissure for more than 20 years & time came to made this LIS because it reached that level that no medication were working at all for whole 15 days, where i was drinking juice & eating once every 48 hours just cuz my mom said so.

PS: the one or doctor who told you that the Anal Fissure will heal in 3 to 6 weeks isn't just so accurate mate,it take more than that with strict diet & great BM, because like you said yourself, one bad BM & you'll have to start all over again to make it heal again.
ansi2019
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby JulsPain » 01 Oct 2019, 23:55

11 weeks post op, and I’m no where close to being healed.

Still taking a couple colace a day, and using a compound cream daily for the last 4 weeks or so.

Pain is consistent - that nagging feeling that something isn’t quite right with the occasional sharp pains. Mostly get it on the opposite side of where my fissure used to be ( I think I developed a new one) and my doctor confirmed it’s not my LIS incision site or the cut itself.

She said it might be “phantom pain” or pain actually stemming from a different area but I call BS. It feels EXACTLY like a fissure.

I also have a bit of blood on my tp every day and this has been going on since August.

My LIS was on July 19th.

This has been such a hard journey and I can’t believe I may be one of the people for whom the surgery didn’t work.

I’ve taken so much time off work that I’m afraid if I take another day off for an appointment I’ll get fired.

This truely has been a rough year :(
JulsPain
Salt Bather

Postby ken2021 » 06 Aug 2021, 23:28

JulsPain wrote:11 weeks post op, and I’m no where close to being healed.

Still taking a couple colace a day, and using a compound cream daily for the last 4 weeks or so.

Pain is consistent - that nagging feeling that something isn’t quite right with the occasional sharp pains. Mostly get it on the opposite side of where my fissure used to be ( I think I developed a new one) and my doctor confirmed it’s not my LIS incision site or the cut itself.

She said it might be “phantom pain” or pain actually stemming from a different area but I call BS. It feels EXACTLY like a fissure.

I also have a bit of blood on my tp every day and this has been going on since August.

My LIS was on July 19th.

This has been such a hard journey and I can’t believe I may be one of the people for whom the surgery didn’t work.

I’ve taken so much time off work that I’m afraid if I take another day off for an appointment I’ll get fired.

Hi julz i keep watching all LIS story , how are you now? did you heal your fissure?
ken2021
Salt Bather

Postby JulsPain » 06 Aug 2021, 23:57

ken2021 wrote:
JulsPain wrote:11 weeks post op, and I’m no where close to being healed.

My LIS was on July 19th.

Hi julz i keep watching all LIS story , how are you now? did you heal your fissure?

Hi Ken2021,

It’s hard to say. I no longer have bleeding that often, but I feel like my muscle is back to that spasm stage because it’s difficult to go to the bathroom at times when I’m not even constipated.

I still have a bit of anal pain but Im honestly not sure what it is, I haven’t gone back to my surgeon due to being on a different insurance now and they were making it difficult with file transfers

The one thing I feel like that has improved is when I do have break through bleeding, it doesn’t last longer than a day.

Since my surgery in 2019, I have developed a new hellish condition called pudendal neuralgia which is 10x worse. Im not sure if it’s related to the surgery, related to the straining or just something else completely which it definitely could be.

So the TL; dr here is my fissure itself seems to be better than how it used to be but I’m not completely pain free
JulsPain
Salt Bather

Postby ken2021 » 07 Aug 2021, 00:22

You mean the fissure is not closed yet? What is worse? pudendal pain vs fissure pain?
ken2021
Salt Bather