Bowel movement type

Bowel movement

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Bowel movement type

Postby brycesara » 08 Jan 2020, 16:00

What type of bowel movement consistency is best for the fissure? Mine is soft but today it was just above diahrea. Seems like I have the same pain & spasm no matter what my stool consistency is. I'm taking benefiber, a small amount of Metamucil, magnesium, and Miramax. Trying to get the correct ratio of everything. Also eating lota of veggies without skins, fruits without skins, small amount of fish amd just a light soup for dinner and bone broth in the evening. Drinking plenty of water but not too much. But I still cannot sit or walk much it starts spasm and I get terrible pain in tailbone, back, back of legs from spasm. If I lay still it lessens but if I move wrong or walk too much it starts spasm. Sometimes it will start to spasm before I try to go to bed, when I'm just starting to relax (finally). I can't sleep so im on trazadone. Im on diltizem, nitro, Beth, calmoseptine, have tried nefedipine also but doc recommended diltizem over nefedipine. My muscle is loose and not tight but still spasming? Any help appreciated and Thank you.
Bryce & Sara
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Bowel movement type

Postby patience_and_healing » 09 Jan 2020, 18:08

It depends from person to person. I would get a lot of burning pain if my BMs were too soft. Somewhere between a Bristol 3 and 4 is ideal for me. Has your doctor suggested anything besides ointments ?
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby brycesara » 09 Jan 2020, 20:20

Thank you. No doc hasn't suggested anything other tgan ointments.
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Postby brycesara » 09 Jan 2020, 20:36

Were you or are you taking magnesium and Miramax? If so how much? I know each person is different.

Right now as of this morning im not getting much pain during BM and I get directly into hot tub of water, but it aches after I get out of the tub. Do you think it's a good idea to lay down for a few hours after BM until spasm stops? I'm self employed and not currently working of course due to condition. It seems the more I walk the more it spasms, but I've been laying for 3 months now (only 1 month with fissure) previous pain is unknown except maybe just spasm from using chainsaw cutting firewood 3 days in a row? Or internal hemmroids? Flex sigmiod showed mild internal hemmroids & fissure at opening of anus. I feel im getting weak from not walking and exercising.
Thank you for your help. Bryce
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 11 Jan 2020, 14:10

I take a 3/4 cap of miralax every night, but I skip it occasionally if BMs are getting too soft.

I think lying down probably makes it harder for the spasm to resolve. I suggest trying yoga poses like child's pose or happy baby to help stretch out the pelvic area. Don't do these if it causes pain! If hot baths don't resolve the pain, try a cold/ice pack for 20 minutes. The numbing effect might help you. Fissures do make it harder to exercise, maybe try body weight exercises to keep fit, but avoid core strengthening since it'll increase pressure on the anus.
patience_and_healing

Postby brycesara » 11 Jan 2020, 17:29

Thank you all of your suggestions on the exercises and yoga & other things. I think my bowel movements are between a 5 & 6 currently. I used to be between 3 & 4 sometimes 5. But im taking 350 mg magnesium plus some colosan but very small amount and 3/4 tsp. Of miralax and a small amount of benefit and eating a low fiber diet (less than 20g) so maybe try reducing magnesium?

As far as the dialators, I put a post as dialators, but haven't got replies yet. Did you use them? If so what instructions can you give?
Thank you,
Bryce & Sara
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 12 Jan 2020, 18:39

3/4 tsp of miralax isn't much, but if it helps you that's good.

I replied to your other thread about dilation. I didn't start dilation until my fissure was healed. Honestly I couldn't imagine putting a dilator up there while it was so painful and spasming.
patience_and_healing

Postby Nitroglycerin » 13 Jan 2020, 06:54

As others said, the right consistency of stool varies from person to person. In my case, it has varied based on exactly what’s going on down there at any point in time.

I aim for a four these days. I achieve this with one tablespoon of acacia fiber three times per day and one docusate sodium stool softener every evening.

I also eat a ton of fiber now in my diet - oatmeal, lentils, split peas, nuts, seeds, whole grain breads and beans make up about half of my diet these days.

On days where I eat more fiber than normal, I back off of the fiber supplement so I don’t end up too soft as that tends to irritate and I have to put calmoseptine on all day.

Drink water, eat fiber, go easy on the meat and get plenty of rest is my mantra. I also use exercise as a way to kill my pain. A few sets of bench presses and the subsequent flood of endorphins takes my mind off the pain and 45 mins of strength training makes my pain go away for the rest of the day.
Âge 41
Mar 2019: AF diagnosed
Mar-Nov 2019: Nitroglycerin(GTN) and Nifedipine
Aug 2019: Total weight loss 60 pounds, diet and exercise
Nov 2019: Botox
Dec 2019-July 2020: Nitroglycerin(GTN) and Nifedipine
July 2020: LIS
Nitroglycerin
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby brycesara » 16 Jan 2020, 21:01

:thanx: :thanx: Thank you all for your replies
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Postby Fred55 » 01 Jun 2022, 19:50

Hi Bryce,
I'm at the middle of the turmoil you've described, know it's been a while but wonder if you'd have some advice I could use.
Cheers!
Fred55
Salt Bather