Help with Fissure/Spasm

fissure/spasm

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Help with Fissure/Spasm

Postby brycesara » 07 Jan 2020, 20:42

Hello, my name is Sara and my husband Bryce is suffering from a fissure. I am typing this post for him. He has had fissures in the past but they would heal within a few days. He got a fissure back in September, think it abscessed slightly but healed quickly. He started getting terrible rectal pain, sharp shooting pains, dull aches. But he did not have the fissure pain anymore and the abcess had healed. He could not walk, sit, and each BM would be painful and then the aching, spasm of the muscles would start. All of his muscles in his butt, tailbone, would all tighten up and cause terrible pain, back pain, leg pain. He thought it was internal hemmroids at that point. We couldn't find a colorectal doctor that had a pediatric scope that was nearby since we had moved further away from his previous CRS. We found one doctor but he only did an exterior exam by separting the rectum and there was no fissure as of November 14. He also could not ride in any vehicle without terrible rectal pain. since he thought it was internal hemmroids, he used one of those small freezer inserts into his rectum to try to relieve his immense pain. It immediately relieved his immense pain. But the next day with BM he knew he had a fissure, but he felt like it was in a different area than his other fissures that reoccur now and then. Possibly from the freezer device or maybe just from the immense pain and spasm he was in that night. Finally found a CRS with small scope but that doc did not want to examine him with ped scope due to fissure. So he had a flex sigmoid scope done the day after Christmas 2019 with the same doc. They found the fissure and thank the Lord nothing else. But with the flex scope I think that maybe it just reopened the fissure. He has been using Diltizem, Bethanocoal, and Nitroglicerin and Calmoseptine, and few other things. The muscle is relaxed when you feel it, not tight like it was, but he is still having the terrible pain after a BM, and just wondering how he can know what is actually the pain from the fissure and what is spasm? He is still getting the sharp shooting pain, the dull ache, the soreness, the inablility to walk, sit, ride in car (all that he had prior to the fissure). The fissure is right near the outside of the anus (from what the doctor said from the flex scope). Also seems like he is/was having levantor ani syndrome/proxia fluax symptoms all along. He had similar symptoms 10 years ago, went to his previous doc and when he examined him there was nothing there. He prescribed him valium and his symtoms went away in 3 months. No docs will prescribe valium now though. It definitely worked for unknown spasm. Any help with this is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Sara & Bryce
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Help with Fissure/Spasm

Postby patience_and_healing » 07 Jan 2020, 22:38

Sorry to hear that your husband is suffering with this. Pain from a fissure is usually spasm pain. This can take several forms - burning, stinging or aching. A stool softener like miralax is essential to prevent reinjury. For his other symptoms like levator, a pelvic floor physical therapist would be very helpful. Sometimes a tight pelvic floor can prevent fissure healing so that's an avenue to explore.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby brycesara » 08 Jan 2020, 06:56

Thank you for writing back. The problem is he can't ride in the car, doc thinks it is reopening his fissure. Did a nerve block help you stop spasm cycle?
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 08 Jan 2020, 13:04

Tailbone cushions can help with taking pressure off the bum and may prevent it from reopening. Don't use doughnut cushions, those are really uncomfortable.

The nerve block helped somewhat but it's the Botox that has helped a lot more.
patience_and_healing

Postby brycesara » 08 Jan 2020, 19:24

Thank you. Does botox reopen the fissure further?
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 09 Jan 2020, 18:06

No it won't unless they do a digital exam or scope which may reopen it.
patience_and_healing

Postby brycesara » 09 Jan 2020, 20:28

How do they do the botox then? Are you Sudated and do they just inject into sphincter muscle on the exterior? So did the botox heal your fissure?
Also I think you had posted about dialators in some other posts, did they help you?
What was your technique? Did your doc prescribe them and if they did what doc? Just curious. Thank you for your replies, Bryce & Sara
brycesara
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 11 Jan 2020, 14:06

The Botox to the sphincter is done in the office without sedation. Two quick pricks and it's done. The first round of Botox is what cured my fissure, but the pelvic floor tension has taken much longer to resolve. That's what I began using dilators for, under guidance of a pelvic floor PT. They did help, but not enough, so I had the trigger points and then Botox to the pelvic floor after that.
patience_and_healing

Postby mamafizz » 14 Jan 2020, 01:54

Hello Bryce and Sara, I have healed and stop by the forum once in a while to help. The urgency of trying to heal after a long time really makes things worse... The simple truth is my symptoms were pretty much the same as
what I have read, could not sit, drive the car, pretty much stayed on my side in bed most of the time, it took everything I could muster to get back to life, the muscles were easily aggravated, so all of the focus and trying
things seemed to have the opposite effect and actually makes it take longer. I did have botox once which healed and the remainder although hard to tell was primarily levator muscle dysfunction caused by the fissure. AND FEAR.. lol Good news is this, even though it has taken basically years, it's just about back to normal, slight flairs but basically no problem. Know this and that it does go away. There isn't anything that just takes it away one day. It is a very gradual process. But it does go away. pretty much, the body will heal itself. Our minds are powerful and our thoughts help with the healing. Stay positive... move forward.. I prayed and just sat down and eventually the thoughts of pain dissipated and what was left was just the pulled muscle feeling which also has subsided. One day at a time~
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby brycesara » 16 Jan 2020, 21:00

:thanx:
:thanx:

Thank you both for your replies and support. Really appreciate your replies.
brycesara
Fibre Addict