LIS Success

LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS Success

Postby ksaco18 » 04 Jun 2020, 13:20

Yup, I'd just give everyone a call to follow-up and make sure you're ready for the procedure. I'm sure a handheld shower head could help, but I'd just make sure the water pressure isn't too powerful, as I'm sure that could cause some pain.

Don't be afraid to ask your CRS all the questions you have-they're there to help you and make you feel comfortable! And I was having less pain a few days leading up to my LIS and started to question whether or not I should get it done. I'm so glad I did anyway, since now I have NO pain! :)
ksaco18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby ksaco18 » 09 Jun 2020, 12:19

StarrySky,

Just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow! Everything will work out great and I know you'll be feeling back to normal in no time. I can't wait for you to get your life back! Sending positive thoughts and well wishes your way. Keep me posted whenever you get a chance! :)
ksaco18
Fibre Addict

Postby StarrySky » 09 Jun 2020, 13:02

Thank you so much, ksaco18. I'm really scared. : ( I almost feel like cancelling, but I know this is for the best. I'm just so scared that I'm shaking.

I really appreciate your help through all this. It's nice to talk to someone that understands. I have nobody in my life that can relate to this and it's hard not to feel down due to that. I just want my life back.

I will update you when I am up to it. Thanks again for the well wishes. : )
StarrySky
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby ksaco18 » 09 Jun 2020, 13:08

Well, you're never alone in this, especially not if you're a member of this AF community. Don't cancel! I promise you, it will change your situation for the better. I had my 3-week followup appointment with my CRS yesterday and she said everything was healing perfectly. I haven't had any muscles spasms, pain or blood for 2 weeks now and have been exercising normally 4-5 times a week.

Not only will you feel physically normal again, but you'll mentally feel SO much better. You and I seem similar in that we get very nervous for these types of procedures, but like I said a few posts ago, if I can go through this procedure and be okay, you absolutely can too! And you won't have to worry about dealing with this in the future! Sounds like a win to me :)

Did you ever reach out to your CRS with your questions about cauterizing the hemorrhoids?
ksaco18
Fibre Addict

Postby StarrySky » 09 Jun 2020, 13:35

Thank you. : ) That means so much to me. I hope and pray I have the same positive experience as you. I just worry so much about the recovery pain. That is scaring me more than anything right now.

Yes, I called and talked to my CRS's assistant and told them I don't want anything unnecessary done. I just want what needs to be done to heal the fissures I have. I will speak with him again before my surgery and make that absolutely clear.

Quick question: did you eat much the day before your surgery? I really don't feel like eating. I'm sure it's the nerves. I have to use magnesium citrate to flush my system out later, though, so it probably doesn't make much difference.

I have to get a Covid test in a couple of hours, which I am NOT looking forward to. : ( Unfortunately it is required by the hospital even though I have no symptoms and have basically just been staying at home these past few months due to the fissure issues.

Again, thanks for your help. : )
StarrySky
Salt Bather

Postby ksaco18 » 09 Jun 2020, 13:42

I'm glad you got some answers from your CRS's assistant. Definitely clarify with your doctor tomorrow before the procedure about the hemorrhoid thing. Overall, I would trust their judgement because this is a pretty common procedure for a CRS.

think I ate an okay amount of food, but probably not as much as I normally do just because I was nervous and also because I had to do 2 enemas prior to my procedure. I would say since you're not doing the enemas, try not to eat an extensive amount of food, especially food high in fiber that will make you feel like you have to go.

That's crazy that they're making you get a COVID test done, but better safe than sorry. My hospital just took my temperature and made me wear a face mask the entire time. They removed it for the surgery to put on my oxygen mask, but when I woke up, it was back on.

Always here to help! :)
ksaco18
Fibre Addict

Postby StarrySky » 09 Jun 2020, 13:49

Thanks for the quick reply. : ) I'm not a big eater, so I'll just eat light today. I'm thankful I don't have to do the enemas. The magnesium citrate will be difficult enough for me. I am sore today, so not looking forward to going again.

Going to leave soon to get that test done. I will keep you posted. : )
StarrySky
Salt Bather

Postby StarrySky » 10 Jun 2020, 12:51

Got the Covid test done, which wasn't too bad. It was uncomfortable, but not horrible.

I am hoping that my mom can come with me, but I'm not sure due to all this Covid stuff. I really need her there (she's been a huge support to me through all this).

I will be leaving in about an hour. Thank you again for all your help. It's given me the strength to go through this. I'm still terrified, but trying to think this will be for the best. I just can't take any more cycles of healing and retearing, which has been going on for months. It's so depressing that I just can't handle it any more. I am tired of feeling hopeless.

I will update today or tomorrow. Take care.
StarrySky
Salt Bather

Postby ksaco18 » 10 Jun 2020, 13:12

Don't be scared! You've got this! And I understand wanting your mom there. Mine drove down from NY for the day to help, and I'm glad she did. It was comforting to have her with me. Company or not, you will be fine and the procedure will be over before you know it! Keep me posted whenever you get a chance. Sending positive vibes your way!
ksaco18
Fibre Addict

Postby StarrySky » 10 Jun 2020, 21:25

I just got home from surgery about an hour ago. Everything went well. Turns out I had two fissures. He did the LIS and cauterized the fissures. Unfortunately, visitors were not allowed, so I was all by myself. : ( It really sucked and I definitely cried a lot. Some of the nurses were not very understanding, either, which didn't help.

I'm tired and a bit loopy at the moment, but I had a few questions:

It says to "keep the dressing clean, dry, and in place until you see a physician." I'm not sure what that means since obviously I can't leave the dressing there forever. I'm not sure when to remove it. I will probably have to call the surgeon's office tomorrow. I don't have any internal packing; it's just on the outside.

Also, when did you start sitz baths? I can't seem to see any information on that. It says on the discharge instructions to see my surgeon's website for details, but I can't find any info. : ( I just want to know when I need to start them.

For the pain pills, when did you start them? I know you said you didn't need many. I will probably take one tonight before bed. I'm just so worried about getting constipated. My surgeon said to take Colace 250mg twice a day. I hope that will be enough. Normally I have no issues with constipation, but anesthesia drugs mess up your system, so I'm worried about that.

I'm a very regular person with bowel movements, so I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. : ( In fact, I'm terrified. How soon did you go after surgery? I'm afraid to eat too much, but my surgeon said not to starve myself since I'll have to go anyway.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just freaking out at the moment since I"m not sure what to do. I'm still a bit numb, but can feel the pain creeping in. Mainly, I just worry about taking the narcotic pills due to the constipation, but I don't want to get into too much pain. It's such a balancing act.

Thanks again for any help! I will still call my surgeon's office tomorrow morning to make sure of things. Right now, I just need to rest.
StarrySky
Salt Bather