Fissure recurrance after LIS

It's returned!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissure recurrance after LIS

Postby tagrich » 29 Jan 2021, 10:31

Hi all,
I haven't been on here for several years since I had my LIS operation about 5-6 years ago. Recently, the damn thing has returned and I had a difficult bowel motion this morning which was hard to pass and another one this afternoon. I take Movicol every morning and night and try to have a fairly sensible diet, but obviously something has happened here. I've had other health issues too dating back to last August, which have left me quite anxious and stressed - now this comes along to add to it.
Feeling pretty down and apprehesive towards the future. I turned 60 today and this is my birthday present! I did have an old tube of Rectogesic and have started putting that on this morning and this afternoon. No idea if it'll help, but have to try. The first fissure problem lasted on and off for about 20 years, so I'm now frightened this is all I have to look forward to in the future. Sorry I'm sounding so negative, guys.
Before my LIS, I asked my consultant here in Bristol, UK what are the chances of having a colostomy just to get my life back and she said pretty slim to none. Now I've had enough and would really like to revisit that idea. Probably the same odds unfortunately. I know it sounds drastic, but the thought of more wasted years at this time of life and with a 10-year old daughter as well, fills me with dread.
It's never been perfect post-LIS and farting has always been uncomfortable. It's always felt fairly tight still and with a sensitive spot on the left of the rectal passage. Incidentally, I'm seeing my old CRS the following Monday, so will see what she thinks. She was quite reluctant to do the LIS last time, but eventually agreed to it.
Any ideas guys or people with the same experience. I'd love to hear from you.
Tagrich
tagrich

Topics: 1

Re: Fissure recurrance after LIS

Postby Rich44 » 07 Feb 2021, 16:48

I guess I've been "tagged" by tagrich (get it?). Anyway, sorry to hear of your recent issue. I would find another CRS, especially if the original one was reluctant to do an LIS. Why would she have been reluctant? That would raise a red flag with me. My CRS told me after trying niphedipine first it would be the best option and did an anal manometry test to make sure I was strong enough to handle an LIS without any incontinence issues which I was. It's been 3 1/2 months and everything is fine. Naturally things could go south tomorrow but so far I am thrilled. My CRS was the head of the department at the hospital with great reviews so I felt I was in good hands. No way in hell I am settling for anyone less. Get a second opinion and a better CRS.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist