Healing chronic fissure: problems with skin tag / hems

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Healing chronic fissure: problems with skin tag / hems

Postby 91brtony » 28 Mar 2021, 13:35

Hello to the forum members,

This is my first post here, although I have been following it for 1 year, I really appreciate all the support and information shared here, you really help people.

Let me introduce myself: 30 years old, male, 185cm tall and 75kg. Living in a small town in Brazil.

I had intestinal problems since I was a child, mainly related to diarrhea but sometimes constipation.Many emotional factors and anxiety problems played an important role. So, I went to a Coloproctologist when I was younger and he diagnosed me with IBS, although with a possibility of Crohn's that was never confirmed. The first time i passed blood in the stool was when I was 18y old, and was a lot of blood, i was terrified and doctor said it was due to an hemorroid. For 10-12 years I had minor bleeds regularly, and I always associated them with hemorrhoids, although with a little pain sometimes, anyway, 2-3 days of cleaning well the area and soaking with warm water during bath was enough to solve the problem.

But then ...

March 2020, a year ago, exactly when COVID hit Brazil, I had 2 days of strong diarrhea, with bright blood, and that's when my problem started. After weeks of really painful BM's and a lot of blood, I went to a Coloproctogist and he diagnosed me with a posterior fissure just below the buttocks and said that my ass was very tense and swollen. Doctor also said that he identified a small skin tag in the same place and said that this fissure could have been caused in a chronic way in the last months or even years. I always thought that this little flap skin that I could touch in the bath was due to hemorrhoids, which Dr also have confirmed that I have, but that looked Ok for years. He also said that he believed that I would need LIS, although I should try everything before, since Brazil's public health system was already starting to collapse and I, unfortunately, am in a bad financial moment, so without the possibility of paying for the surgery without making a considerable debt, and God, I have a family and son to take care of ...

By the way, the diagnosis cheered me up and I soon discovered this forum and started trying everything. Doc put me on strong doses of ibuprofen in the next weeks, diltiazem cream and miralax, and thanks God I was better.

For the next 6 months, it was normal to feel pain during BM, but no blood, and my butthole was still swollen and difficult to touch. When I tried to apply diltiazem a little deeper, sometimes I hurt myself with my own finger and suffered for hours. It was long 6 months and I have to say that Miralax saved my life in those days. I also added a lot of fiber to my diet, lots of fruits, prunes, beans, etc., always drinkink rivers of water and on days off doing 3-4 sitz bath (i really love those). After that time I started to experience a significant improvement in pain, and sometimes I stayed for 5 days without any problem, but, I started to have skin rash, migraines and nausea, and I started to think that Miralax could be the culprit, besides, Doctor told me to reduce the dose and every time I tried to take less Miralax (I was taking 1-2 sachets a day religiously), but every time I tried to stop, I had constipation and very difficult BM's on the way back the pain, but this time less intense. Although it continued to bother me, just like migraines, it was just weeks of a lot of Ibuprofen.

My conclusion was: I was improving but the fissure is getting more and more chronic. My next step was the search for a probiotic, I tried Kombucha and Kefir, but both did not solve my problem and it was nothing practical, I decided to stop with the prunes because they were being too acid and I religiously went on a low Fodmap diet.
But then, thanks to this wonderful forum, I read about Japanese Misso soup as probiotic, and since I am a fan of Japanese food, I decided to give it a try and started taking 1 bowl of miso with wakame seaweed and tofu every day, and finally, my BMs became extremely regular and healthy and I started to really feel that I was getting better. And then, I managed to spend about 20 days (in February 2021) without Miralax and without any type of BM pain.

But as everyone knows, in this world of fissures, things are like a roller coaster. And after 2-3 weeks feeling good, I started to feel the area slightly inflamed and a little itchy, and some days I felt a little pain, especially when sitting, which was bothering me, and again during BM, but far from the sharp pain of the fissure opening, but only as if passing stool increased this inflammation. Until one day I had an allergy crisis and after several sneezes, a strong sneeze make me feel a sharp pain at the bottom. A few hours later, when I went to do a sit bath, I got scared, with what appeared to be my skin tag it got VERY swollen and much bigger than it used to be. For a week I felt moderate and constant pain throughout the day, and the swollen skin was still there, quite irritable to the touch and also an irritating itch.

Now I must say that at the time this happened (2 weeks ago?), we are in the worst crisis in Brazilian public health with a terrible situation with the covid that has only worsened until today, and unfortunately, I am unable to schedule an appointment with my Doctor due to the clinic being overcrowded.

When I was examining myself that week and I also took pictures, I could see that what I had looked like a swollen vein, a lump that feels like a tube (?) And that ended up exactly on my skin tag, which was also swollen. This "thing" started right under my skin tag and continued towards the anterior position, up the buttocks, a little to the left, and in the photos it looked really red and swollen. But on the other hand, my butthole feels healthy. Although the thing caused me pain and the "swelling feeling" that bothers me a lot and itches a lot
So, I went back to the ibuprofen, misso soup, drinking liters of water and lots of fiber, walking around the neighborhood for exercise (early in the morning). These symptoms occurred for exactly 8 days and bothered me a lot, until one day, I felt that between my buttocks was a bit wet and when I tipped with moist tissue paper, I could notice a small amount of a thick yellow substance that I believe to be pus , and a little bit of blood. So, over the days I have been checking the region and there is always a little bit of this "pus", when the "swollen thing" became less sensitive and seemed to decrease in size, this "pus" appeared but never in large quantities, just a little staining the paper, as if it had been drained.

I started reading about Fistula / Abcess and now I am VERY VERY afraid that I am starting to develop one, or that I will have an abscess and not be able to go to the hospital at the moment, it has scared me a lot. Although, the pain has subsided, and my butthole feels healthy and free from swelling. The "vein thing" is still swollen and a little sore. My BM's are ok, I don't feel much pain of the original fissure. But the "pus" and all the new creepy symptoms that I have been experiencing continue, and in 1 day I had a strong migraine and some chills, but without a fever.

So ... I have a lot of doubts and I'm so afraid. Could the fissure or skin tag become considerably swollen and cause all of these symptoms to me? Could the fissure or skin tag release this "yellowish thick pus" in small quantities? Should I worry about a fistula / abscess? Is the fistula pain severe? or can it also be less intense? I also think about the possibility of a hemorrhoid... Could this be a kind of scarring in the fissure? or is the fissure below that lump? or is it the fissure itself that has become swollen and become a lump?

I will try to go to the Doctor as soon as possible, but as long as the situation does not improve here, this forum remains my only hope...

I also hope that my story can help someone.I wish everyone in the forum all the best and lots of health and relief for those who are suffering.

Tony

ps: Also, sorry for my language errors, my English is not so good, I just typed everything in Portuguese and translated it with Google.
91brtony

Topics: 1

Re: Healing chronic fissure: problems with skin tag / hems

Postby Vishal » 04 Apr 2021, 11:51

Wow. Amazing story man. We are neighbors because I live in the neighboring country Guyana. I’m scared that it could be a fistula that you have but with the pain subsiding it may not be that since those are very painful. Keep using the probiotic. I myself use a lot of homemade yogurt made from cows milk. Honestly it doesn’t do much in terms of digestion but I do feel it’s good nutritionally as well as a natural antibiotic. I’m glad you posted your story and wish you well.
Vishal
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Healing chronic fissure: problems with skin tag / hems

Postby 91brtony » 09 Apr 2021, 14:45

Thank you so much Vishal.
Nice to meet you neighbor. I hope that everything is fine with Guyana, in relation to COVID.
Today I managed to go to the Dr. and he also thinks it may be a fistula.
91brtony

Topics: 1