Mag Citrate and AF

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Mag Citrate and AF

Postby Kistome » 23 Mar 2019, 19:35

I just read that you shouldn’t take Magnesium Citrate when you have an anal fissure with bleeding. Now I’m scared. I wondered why the bleeding seemed way more intense this time. Thoughts?
Kistome

Topics: 1

Re: Mag Citrate and AF

Postby Abu » 23 Mar 2019, 23:42

The internet is full of conflicting advice. I take magensium for 5 years with no side effects and there are plenty others who do this to help with fissure, including on this forum.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby chrosy » 13 Dec 2020, 00:31

Hi Abu, are you taking magnesium citrate? What's your dose and schedule in taking magnesium?
chrosy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Stingeyringey » 16 Feb 2021, 16:58

I keep trying to post and the damn thing keeps not working...I'm going to par this response right down until I find out what's happening.

Mag citrate kept my pooping the consistency of soft scoop ice cream for 6 months and I had no ill effects whatsoever. So far as I can tell the advice about "don't take it" on the internet is mainly "Oh no, it may be habit forming!" - the same advice on osmotic stool softeners of all sorts but CRS's still say "take X for the rest of your life" to some people. Now personally, I don't think taking anything permamently your body was not evolved to take is a good idea but I had 6 months on 400mg of mag citrate in the morning and it did more for me than the damn creams ever did.

I'm literally trying to post a long screed about how I think I *may* have healed a 5 year chronic fissure by taking 400mg daily for 6 months (some recent bleeding, albeit without pain, makes me wonder, and I'm waiting in considerable annoyance to see if it self resolves).

Long story short I'd recommend it.
Stingeyringey
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Magnesium Lover » 04 Mar 2021, 05:49

I started taking mag citrate years ago for my fissure and at a time it was bleeding. I've taken then every day ever since and not personally had a problem and it's kept my fissure problem at bay all these years. I take two Solgate magnesium citrate tablets daily.
Magnesium Lover
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Elisa » 05 Apr 2021, 07:55

Hello! I have a question about magnesium. Does it bulk your stool? I'm thinking about giving it a try, but I'm afraid it can make my stool bigger as I had this problem in the past with other supplements. When the stool is very big I go back to square one. Thanks for your help!
Elisa

Postby Rich44 » 05 Apr 2021, 13:09

Elisa wrote:Hello! I have a question about magnesium. Does it bulk your stool? I'm thinking about giving it a try, but I'm afraid it can make my stool bigger as I had this problem in the past with other supplements. When the stool is very big I go back to square one. Thanks for your help!
Hi, I'm just curious. You normally want your stool to be soft and bulky; have you spoken to a professional about your issue? Usually it's the smaller dry stool that causes the most problems. I never heard of magnesium for AF so I can't help you there.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Elisa » 05 Apr 2021, 14:00

Hello, small dry stool is a problem but when it's too big the fissure tears up again. The doctor recommended to take Miralax but I already take it for two years so I would like to find a natural alternative. It also upsets my stomach lately. I thought to give Magnesium a try but I would like to know if it bulks the stool as fiber does. Thanks!
Elisa

Postby Rich44 » 05 Apr 2021, 14:33

You've taken Miralax for two years? Every day? Isn't long term use dangerous for colon motility? My main issue turned out to be tension. Once my fissure started I would tighten up because I was so worried it would reopen and it only made it worse (but I didn't KNOW that). Anyway good luck. I'm approaching my 6 month LIS anniversary and I have had no issues when going to the bathroom. I use a squatty potty everytime and it's been gold. Yesterday I had a dry hard stool in clumps that normally would cause a fissure. But I relaxed, let things come naturally and there was no pain, no blood, no problem. The squatty potty helps me get into more of a natural squat position as if I was outdoors in the woods which helps your bowel movements big time. I love it. Best of luck.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Elisa » 05 Apr 2021, 15:24

The doctor told me that I can take it for long periods and that shouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to depend on this forever. Unfortunately everytime I stop, in the moment the stool is not good the fissure tears up again. I would like to do surgery but the doctor wants to wait because of the risks. Good that it worked for you! I hope to do surgery as well at some point because I'm quite done with this!
Elisa