First time Botox?

Question about Botox.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

First time Botox?

Postby animalcrossing » 28 May 2021, 06:12

Hi! I been suffering from a fissure for almost a year and I am scheduled to do my first Botox treatment next week.. My question is: Is it painful takin the shots? I will be awake. Will I be able to work after?

Looking for answers to ease my nervous mind :D hehe
animalcrossing

Topics: 1

Re: First time Botox?

Postby Suxsomuch2 » 28 May 2021, 21:55

I haven't tried it yet, but want you to know people are still here, although it seems only a few of us. Let us know how it goes, please. I have been a champion of calcium-blocker ointment as a life saver, but just came back from a long road trip in a lot of pain. Gah.
Cancerous polyps May 2018
Confirmed polyps removed July 2019
Extreme pain November 2020
Diagnosed with AF January 2021
LIS February 2021
Not healed
Suxsomuch2
Fibre Addict

Postby Sigmolly » 31 May 2021, 15:26

Hey. I have had my anal fissure for just over a year and I had my first dose of botox on the 12th May this month. I was put to sleep though and also had local anaesthetic which lasted a good amount of that day as well. I was also advised to start taking their painkillers before the local wore off, so I did that.

The hospital signed me off work for two weeks afterwards but I think I suffered more mentally during this time. I found the painkillers very drowsy as well and I couldn't focus on a thing and I was on them for five days. The pain crept up again in the mornings and so a few days later I was on them again for another 4 days. It took me a few days to feel comfortable to go up and down the stairs and my mornings involved being woken up by pain for 3-4 days but this quickly reduced when I took my first dose of painkillers for the day.

I felt my best in the evenings. I was way more mobile than I expected but my body was telling me to rest. I read somewhere where they said botox is not as painful as when you first got your anal fissure and I agree. I was in pain but it certainly wasn't to the level I have previously experienced. My surgeon said to think of botox as an aid rather than a cure and so I am taking it one day at a time. Hope this kinda helps.

Edit: I also had rubber banding of haemorrhoids on that day as well.
Last edited by Sigmolly on 01 Jun 2021, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
Sigmolly

Postby Suxsomuch2 » 31 May 2021, 21:51

Dang, Sigmolly, I had no idea getting Botox would be that much of an ordeal. Sounds like as much trouble as having LIS. Bummed out about that. But really appreciate the intel. I am so over this BS.
Cancerous polyps May 2018
Confirmed polyps removed July 2019
Extreme pain November 2020
Diagnosed with AF January 2021
LIS February 2021
Not healed
Suxsomuch2
Fibre Addict

Postby Sigmolly » 01 Jun 2021, 06:28

Apologies - I have edited it to say I also had rubber banding of haemorrhoids that day as well which I think is a common surgery combination.

Sorry to hear this! I actually mentally prepared for more pain. I honestly think physically the worst bit was waking up in the mornings before taking pain relief. I found the bowel movements were fine during but stung afterwards - tolerable and mostly dulled with pain relief. I could have returned to work earlier if I hadn't of been on those painkillers twice.

My post surgery routine that I was given was two types of painkillers for five days, suppositories twice a day for a week, told to shower (no toilet roll) after a bowel movement for a week and to take a sitz bath with a tablespoon of salt for 15 minutes before bed to keep everything clean for a week as well. I was told to avoid chocolate, tobacco, coffee and spicy food for a while. I also had to self isolate to reduce my covid risk for a week before surgery and for a week afterwards - this could be reduced if you're vaccinated but I haven't been yet.

The post surgery routine was tiring but you can definitely handle the pain. I think what I wish I had known before was the importance of self care. Find something which will relax you. If you're not working for a bit then you may get sucked into analysing in great depth everything your body is going through - you might have gone through this with LIS. Laugh with friends over the phone, watch a crappy movie, listen to music, pace around the flat and outside once you can/feel comfortable, buy a game, buy the softest pillow to sit on or hug etc.
Sigmolly

Postby animalcrossing » 08 Jun 2021, 08:55

Thanks for the replies.
6 days since I took the botox.. The pain is gone already... But one thing I now noticed is that my legs feels like jelly... They feels weak.. Is that a normal reaction from Botox?
animalcrossing

Postby patience_and_healing » 09 Jun 2021, 01:10

That doesn't sound like a normal reaction to Botox. Please check with your doctor. You might just need some rest.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Pzgre » 09 Jun 2021, 11:38

Did you get a fissurectomy with the botox?
Pzgre
Salt Bather