nifedipine ointment.

does nifedipine help immediately?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

nifedipine ointment.

Postby kalapuka » 11 Feb 2022, 14:45

Hi everyone. I never imagined people could have such terrible pain, from such a small cut in the skin. But as my doctor said: " Now you know what it means "pain in an ass"". I have had AF for 3 weeks, which was getting worst and worst, with very painful spasms. 2 days ago i saw proctologist who prescribed me nifedipine ointment 0.4% with 4% lidocaine. yesterday i used it first time in the morning and was very happy as my pain reduced tremendously. BUT for some reason, i had 2 BMs yesterday, and also today 1 in the morning and 2nd in 15 mins after first. i didn't apply ointment after the first BM as was taking SITZ bath. So after the second, i applied the Nifedipine inside ( as was directed by my Dr.). And now i am confused. if yesterday ointment helped me a lot, today it did just a little, i still have pain and feel spasms, not so much as without it, maybe 20% less. does it mean the ointment doesnt work for me, or it takes some time? Also, i can't figure out my food regime. i need to have just 1 BM a day in the morning before i go to work. so i take 5mg psyllium in the morning and after the evening meal. 1 cap of Miralax before bed ( doctor told me to increase to 2, but i think its a lot, so i take 1.5), a lot of water, 8 prunes a day, other fiber food, yogurt. Maybe i take a lot of fiber? or Miralax is playing the role in more BMs?
kalapuka

Topics: 1

Re: nifedipine ointment.

Postby Amychristine » 27 Mar 2022, 20:40

Hey I hope you are doing ok. I think that cream can take a little while to work but you should feel relief soon. For me personally too much fiber can be a bad thing. Everyone’s different. Miralax could be doing it but for me I usually just go once a day. When I go more then they I’m usually having a lot more fiber then normal. How are you doing now?
Amychristine
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: nifedipine ointment.

Postby Rich44 » 28 Mar 2022, 11:50

kalapuka wrote:Hi everyone. I never imagined people could have such terrible pain, from such a small cut in the skin. But as my doctor said: " Now you know what it means "pain in an ass"". I have had AF for 3 weeks, which was getting worst and worst, with very painful spasms. 2 days ago i saw proctologist who prescribed me nifedipine ointment 0.4% with 4% lidocaine. yesterday i used it first time in the morning and was very happy as my pain reduced tremendously. BUT for some reason, i had 2 BMs yesterday, and also today 1 in the morning and 2nd in 15 mins after first. i didn't apply ointment after the first BM as was taking SITZ bath. So after the second, i applied the Nifedipine inside ( as was directed by my Dr.). And now i am confused. if yesterday ointment helped me a lot, today it did just a little, i still have pain and feel spasms, not so much as without it, maybe 20% less. does it mean the ointment doesnt work for me, or it takes some time? Also, i can't figure out my food regime. i need to have just 1 BM a day in the morning before i go to work. so i take 5mg psyllium in the morning and after the evening meal. 1 cap of Miralax before bed ( doctor told me to increase to 2, but i think its a lot, so i take 1.5), a lot of water, 8 prunes a day, other fiber food, yogurt. Maybe i take a lot of fiber? or Miralax is playing the role in more BMs?
It's been 6 weeks since your post, how are you doing?

I would think that adding fiber and especially a laxative would definitely add more BM's. Anyone with or without a fissure will have some discomfort from numerous BM's. When you throw in anxiety and stress it usually makes the fissure worse.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of April 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist