4weeks out from LIS with lots of questions

I have questions and need input 4 weeks after surgery.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

4weeks out from LIS with lots of questions

Postby avfissue » 02 Feb 2022, 10:21

This is my first post!

I am a late 30s male. Struggled with fissures for 7 years off and on, and finally had LIS surgery January 4th. I honestly thought it would be a breeze, read about people going back to work in a week or so. I only had LIS surgery nothing else, so I really didn't expect anything to rough.

Now it is 4 weeks after surgery and I still have pain and bleeding. I would appreciate some input from others.

I have yet to be pain free with my BMs. The last few days I have had pain, stinging and blood with my BMs. It isn't like the pain I had for the first 2 weeks after the surgery, that's when I immediately had to jump into the tub, but it does hurt and I don't like seeing the blood.

I have started to look closer at my anus, I can see the slightly puffed up skin from the incision site. I also see a little red streak, where the blood is coming from and it is between the slightly puffed up skin and the anus. I think this is where I have continually had pain and blood since surgery.

I still get white discharge and maybe a little bit of stool throughout the day. I clean it up pretty regularly.

I use a few different creams. Emuaid, a hemorrhoidal cream and Calmoseptine.

I tried to resume Yoga and my normal lap lane swimming, but I after a couple days, it seemed like I was bleeding more and not progressing in my healing.

I had LOTS of pain for the first 2 weeks after surgery and now I have some pain with every BM for the last 2 weeks. Wonder what the next 2 weeks will be like? Please advise! Thank you!
avfissue
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: 4weeks out from LIS with lots of questions

Postby Rich44 » 04 Feb 2022, 14:04

Have you mentioned all this to your surgeon and if so, what did they say?
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby avfissue » 06 Feb 2022, 20:04

I was thinking about waiting until the 6 week mark, because I was told that was when I could expected it to be healed. If I have the same pain and blood then, I will make another appointment.

Just was hoping for some advice on here before that point.
avfissue
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 07 Feb 2022, 01:42

I’m sorry you are still dealing with this. My follow up was 3 weeks after surgery and the fissure was completely healed by then. I honestly didn’t have any issues after surgery. Just a little bleeding and a little pain. My CRS is a leader in the field of rectal microsurgery which greatly helped me feel I had someone I could trust. If I were in your shoes I would have been calling the CRS within a week or two after tops. The simplest advice I can give is the more relaxed you are when you have a BM the less tension in your sphincter - the less chance of problems related to fissures or another one forming (and they definitely can). I wouldn’t use stool softeners either. You want normal large bulky stools so hit the fiber. You’ll be in touch with the CRS soon enough.
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby avfissue » 09 Feb 2022, 17:39

Thanks Rich44. I am glad you had success with your surgery and it seems like you had success pretty quickly!!!

I am still in pain week 5, and planning to make an appointment next week, unless things turn around quickly.

Seems like if some people, like you, have success that quickly, something maybe a little off for me.

Week 4 and 5 have been pretty rough. Not as bad pain wise as weeks 1 and 2, but mentally maybe worse. The pain is pretty rough still.
avfissue
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 09 Feb 2022, 18:22

avfissue wrote:Thanks Rich44. I am glad you had success with your surgery and it seems like you had success pretty quickly!!!

I am still in pain week 5, and planning to make an appointment next week, unless things turn around quickly.

Seems like if some people, like you, have success that quickly, something maybe a little off for me.

Week 4 and 5 have been pretty rough. Not as bad pain wise as weeks 1 and 2, but mentally maybe worse. The pain is pretty rough still.
Do you think the pain is still from the fissure or the LIS incision itself? Are you taking anything for pain? Did you have a colorectal surgeon do this LIS or a general surgeon?
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby avfissue » 13 Feb 2022, 22:13

I went to a general surgeon for this surgery. He seems pretty knowledgeable though. I see him this Weds. The pain is from the incision, but seems to go all the way in. Could I have torn between the incision and the hole!?! Or maybe the incision pain just makes it feel that intense. It was slightly better today, I have the itchy feeling where I know healing is happening. It’s a good and bad feeling. Im just 2 days under 6 weeks from surgery for anyone following my outcome
avfissue
Fibre Addict

Postby avfissue » 20 Feb 2022, 10:08

1 day and 6 weeks from surgery, I went back to my surgeon. I told him about all the blood and pain, he looked and said it was all from my incision. He said the normal curve for healing was 6-8 weeks. He didn't seem to concerned. He didn't see any fissures, and said all the pain was from the incision sight. I am still hurting during my BMs and still see blood. I feel like the incision has healed quite a bit, but now is trying to healing the outside edge and it causes it to bleed and sting a lot there. As it heals, its hurts for it to be used during the BM. This Tuesday will be 7 weeks, and I am still hoping and waiting for less pain and blood. I would say the overall trend is towards an improvement and less pain, but it is taking a long time.

I am always happy for advice, feedback and encouragement.
avfissue
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 21 Feb 2022, 22:43

avfissue wrote:1 day and 6 weeks from surgery, I went back to my surgeon. I told him about all the blood and pain, he looked and said it was all from my incision. He said the normal curve for healing was 6-8 weeks. He didn't seem to concerned. He didn't see any fissures, and said all the pain was from the incision sight. I am still hurting during my BMs and still see blood. I feel like the incision has healed quite a bit, but now is trying to healing the outside edge and it causes it to bleed and sting a lot there. As it heals, its hurts for it to be used during the BM. This Tuesday will be 7 weeks, and I am still hoping and waiting for less pain and blood. I would say the overall trend is towards an improvement and less pain, but it is taking a long time.

I am always happy for advice, feedback and encouragement.
Good that you were able to see the surgeon. Bad that he said 6-8 weeks but ok. My fissure healed within 3 weeks, though I don't know about the incision itself. I had mild pain for about 10-14 days and the blood stopped around a 7-10 days from what I can recall but it could have been a little longer. I'm sorry you are still suffering this long after the surgery. Hang in there. Better days are ahead.
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby avfissue » 14 Mar 2022, 17:31

Update at 10 weeks

Weeks 7-8 I noticed improvements, but still had blood most of the time with BMs. I would say each week I was slightly better but not in huge increases.

Now at 10 weeks, I haven’t seen much blood for 4-5 days. Still some pain and stinging, but it’s lessening.

Yesterday I actually thought I might be able to start yoga and swimming again, but I’m waiting for a week of no blood and less amounts of pain first.

Just FYI
avfissue
Fibre Addict