Finally getting LIS after 6 years of AF tearing

LIS Recovery Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Finally getting LIS after 6 years of AF tearing

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 06 Apr 2022, 14:34

I've been lurking on this site for years and I have to say it has always been comforting to see I'm not alone!

This Friday (in 2 days) 4/8/22 I'm finally getting the LIS procedure done. I have suffered from a chronic AF for 6 years now. At the worst pain my only releif was a warm bath, at best, a heating pad. I've tried every possible treatment under the sun aside from Botox. Simply put, my butthole is too tight! Lol. Each morning my BM is ALWAYS a struggle to get out despite metamucil, foods high in fiber, and tons of water.

I have read probably 20 LIS stories on here and hope to add my own on here as well in the coming days.

UPDATE: (From Day 3) I am writing to sticky what my diet and supplements have looked like since surgery.
* I made a giant batch of lentil soup before surgery (and again on day 2) that I eat with ditalini (small pasta) it's a good source of fiber, protein, vitamins, and keeps you full.
* I have been taking miralax but I will probably stop or 1/2 it for tomorrow as my BM's are a bit too soft.
* Tyelnol and ibuprofin have been more than enough to manage the pain which has been about a 5/10 at worst and generally a 2/10 since day 2.
* Sitz baths to freshen up and after each BM. I also have taken 2 showers every day morning and night.
* Every "snack" i have has fiber in it. Bada bean, organic popcorn, with the exception of rice cakes which are pretty plain and easy to digest.
* A metric ton of water every day!
Last edited by terrancewifflespoon on 11 Apr 2022, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Finally getting LIS after 6 years of AF tearing

Postby Suffering2long » 07 Apr 2022, 18:17

I wish you the best of luck for your procedure and recovery..please update us with the details. There are a couple of us seriously considering lis. Probably more than a couple actually:)
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 07 Apr 2022, 21:05

Thanks suffering2long! I’ll try to keep this updated.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 08 Apr 2022, 16:20

I waited over 6 years too. This is the best decision you ever made and you'll wonder why you waited so long. In a few weeks you should be back to normal again. Please keep us posted with your recovery.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 08 Apr 2022, 18:20

Just got out of surgery! About 2 hours out. I’m on some pain meds so no pain at all right now. Things went well. I’ll update tomorrow.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 08 Apr 2022, 18:39

terrancewifflespoon wrote:Just got out of surgery! About 2 hours out. I’m on some pain meds so no pain at all right now. Things went well. I’ll update tomorrow.
Nice!
I refused pain meds at the hospital. Some of them cause constipation. I used OTC pain meds when needed. I felt there was no way the pain from the surgery would be any worse than what I had endured.
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 08 Apr 2022, 18:48

For sure. I just took the one they offered at the hospital but from here on out it’s Tylenol and ibuprofen!
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 10 Apr 2022, 09:14

Day 1: woke up with a bit of pain at about 4:30am. Took a Tylenol and decided to just get up for the day. I cycled Metamucil with each meal. 3 stool softeners and miralax in the morning. I took probably 5 sitz baths. Mostly trying to get the packaging to fall out.

Ended up having a BM later in the day which did not hurt as bad as expected. I’d say a 3/10. As far as pain during the day, when the Tylenol would wear off I’d say it was about a 6/10. As others have said more discomfort than pain and honestly not as bad as your worst anal fissure. Not even close.

I’ll update on day 2 tonight!
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 10 Apr 2022, 11:31

terrancewifflespoon wrote:Day 1: woke up with a bit of pain at about 4:30am. Took a Tylenol and decided to just get up for the day. I cycled Metamucil with each meal. 3 stool softeners and miralax in the morning. I took probably 5 sitz baths. Mostly trying to get the packaging to fall out.

Ended up having a BM later in the day which did not hurt as bad as expected. I’d say a 3/10. As far as pain during the day, when the Tylenol would wear off I’d say it was about a 6/10. As others have said more discomfort than pain and honestly not as bad as your worst anal fissure. Not even close.

I’ll update on day 2 tonight!
Good start - you had the first BM after surgery which is the scary one. Based on my personal experience and findings - ditch the stool softeners and laxatives immediately. You do not want super soft loose stools nor hard stools and you definitely do not want your colon to get permanently messed up by laxatives and stool softeners. You want big, bulky BMs every time moved naturally through your colon. Your sphincter needs to work properly as well. Take fiber, eat foods with fiber, plenty of water, start getting active, keep doing sitz baths, RELAX when you go and you will be fine.
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 10 Apr 2022, 11:45

Thanks for the tips Rich! I’ll cut out the softeners. Probably will keep the mirilax for another day or so as that is a game changer for me.

About what day did you start to feel like you were back to normal? I’m fairly active and can’t wait to get back on the bike but I’m fine to see the healing process through to be done with this.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict