Finally getting LIS after 6 years of AF tearing

LIS Recovery Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Finally getting LIS after 6 years of AF tearing

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 11 Apr 2022, 09:45

Day 2: I ended up have 3 BM's. Slight pain but very manegable. I did the sitz bath repeatedly. When this is over I never want to hear the words "sitz bath" again. I'm just tired of taking them lol.

I actually didn't need tylenol during the day but took an ibuprofin at dinner and a tylenol before bed. Today I'm feeling pretty good. I've had little problem walking around albiet slowly.

There's a slight itch up there that comes and goes. But for the most part nothing major to report!
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 11 Apr 2022, 18:04

Day 3: (I’m doing these at the end of the day now)

A pretty average day which was good. 2 BM’s in the morning that were not as uncomfortable as the previous day’s. Diet is largely the same still. Lentils are my life. A little discomfort after the morning’s BM but no lasting pain. Very mild.

I can walk around a bit but couldn’t sit in my office chair (I work from home) which was ok because I just sat in bed and worked. Will update tomorrow.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby Sisyphus » 12 Apr 2022, 06:15

terrancewifflespoon wrote:Thanks for the tips Rich! I’ll cut out the softeners. Probably will keep the mirilax for another day or so as that is a game changer for me.

About what day did you start to feel like you were back to normal? I’m fairly active and can’t wait to get back on the bike but I’m fine to see the healing process through to be done with this.

If I could travel back in time, before and after my surgeries I would have just eaten whole milk, eggs, butter, and some fatty meat during pre and post-surgery. I suffered a lot during that period precisely because I ate the supposedly mainstream healthy diet. My stools were bulky and impeded recovery. Shitting blood because of the bad advice they give us about what is the healthy diet,
is not acceptable.
Sisyphus
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Rich44 » 12 Apr 2022, 12:19

terrancewifflespoon wrote:Thanks for the tips Rich! I’ll cut out the softeners. Probably will keep the mirilax for another day or so as that is a game changer for me.

About what day did you start to feel like you were back to normal? I’m fairly active and can’t wait to get back on the bike but I’m fine to see the healing process through to be done with this.
Back to fully normal? I can't remember. I do know I was told fissure was fully healed within 3 weeks and the post-surgery stuff was over no later than 11 days.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rich44 » 12 Apr 2022, 12:22

Sisyphus wrote:

If I could travel back in time, before and after my surgeries I would have just eaten whole milk, eggs, butter, and some fatty meat during pre and post-surgery. I suffered a lot during that period precisely because I ate the supposedly mainstream healthy diet. My stools were bulky and impeded recovery. Shitting blood because of the bad advice they give us about what is the healthy diet,
is not acceptable.
I was in the middle of a low-carb diet when I had my surgery so all I was eating before and after was eggs, butter, fatty meat, whole milk plus some healthy carbs and I only drink plain water everyday. Bulky SOFT stools are not the enemy. You likely had bulky HARD stools plus stress. You may have had too little electrolytes or a sodium imbalance drying them out.
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 12 Apr 2022, 21:38

Day 4: a pretty good day. 2 BM’s in the morning. Not painful but irritated the area a bit. Sitz bath with a shower after. I took one ibuprofen after lunch and had zero issues with pain for the rest of the day. I’m able to move about a bit better.

Still some drainage unfortunately but not a ton. It’s gross but it’s still early so I guess it’s to be expected. Keeping diet largely the same but cut back in miralax by half a dose.

Hoping to keep healing!
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 13 Apr 2022, 10:34

It's still early but it should get a little better every day!
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 13 Apr 2022, 20:42

Day 5: Another day in the books! It was a very normal day with general improvements.

I had a few BMs very soft that didn’t hurt at all. I’m backing off some of the extra fiber cautiously to avoid bowel issues. Same as yesterday I felt some general discomfort after the BM’s but did a Sitz bath after each.

I found myself able to walk at a brisk pace today with the dog. Able to resume some normalcy in moving around without being cautious.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 14 Apr 2022, 18:28

Day 6: Day six in the books! Another pretty uneventful day which is nice. One BM that didn't hurt at all. Some minor discomfort for about 1-2 hours after. I took the dog on a couple long walks and noticed if I walk too fast I experience some discomfort.

My diet has been largely the same over the past week with the exception of white rice and chicken with mild curry last night. No issues from that.

A bit uncomfortable to sit in an office chair for more than 10 minutes but not painful.

Still some light blood/discharge from the wound every few hours.

I'll update tomorrow! My follow up doctor's visit with my CRS is next tueday (day 11) so I'll be sure to update until then.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 15 Apr 2022, 10:20

Day 7: Bad news folks. I had a really hard BM tip this morning and re-tore the fissure. Very upset by this all. Lots of bright blood and pain directly from the fissure I've spent 6 years dealing with. I did a sitz bath for 10 minutes and called the CRS office to see what they recommend.

I'm 90% sure this is related to stopping the Miralax. It's really the only thing that prevents the hard tips I've stuggled with. I'm going to consult a dietitian and also scour the internet for answers because the hard tip has been the bane of my existence for years. I'll post an update at the end of the day (it's 9am here) if there's anything to update/
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict