Fissures and rectal prolapse

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissures and rectal prolapse

Postby UK fissure chick » 19 Aug 2012, 17:22

Hi all
I have been under a consultant for a while here in the UK. I went into hospital with the plan of having my 2nd round of botox for my fissure and have my hemmys removed last week. Since then I have now been told that the fissure has healed and gone, there were no hemmys inside or out, but I had a rectocele which looks like part of my rectal wall has prolapsed. So the thing that I thought was a hemmy/fissure on the outside was actually part of my rectal wall ...... (I can feel myself gagging as I think about it!)
Aparently fissures/hemmys are common with rectal prolapse, this was news to me, I never knew the bowel could prolapse! So I am awaiting my appointment in the pelvic floor clinic, whilst taking numbing suppositries and pain relief. I am not sure what the clinic will do, but I cant seem to sit comfy or without pain for 15 mins, standing is better but not much. In my rectum I have pain, sworeness, feels swollen/burning, aching, pain in my left buttock, muceous stools, feeling of heavyness :(
I know rectocele/prolapse is not fissures but thought I would post this incase anyone has had the same symptoms as me. I have been treated for fissure/hemmys since Feb and probably should have been refered to the other clinic ages ago and given the right meds.
Anyone have any advice or tips on how to tackle this rectocele/prolapse from a self help point of view?
Any info would be appreciated :)
Thanks for listening
Take care all Image
UK fissure chick
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Fissures and rectal prolapse

Postby Savaici » 20 Aug 2012, 12:17

Hi there again!
Isn't this all so much fun, not knowing really what is wrong Image . Join the club!!
I have just posted an article on RECTAL PROLAPSE on the References, Websites, Facts... portion of the board. UpToDate is pay site where current research gets posts.
I was told I had a rectal prolapse, then no, it was not that it was large hemmys and diverticulosis. I am not wiser yet about it all Image I have all the symptoms that you have, but on having a sigmoidoscopy, this was what I was told. Anyway, have a read. Better to know than not when you go to the clinic. Have they said what tests they are going to do?
All the best!
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Del1982 » 20 Aug 2012, 13:32

Hi!
I was diagnosed with having a small rectal prolapse in 2008 after having a sigmoidoscopy(horrible). I chose not to have surgery because I am a bit of a wimp. I have never been diagnosed with fissures but I sometimes get minor bleeds after big bm. This followed by a burning sensation and later itching. I never get any pain or spasms. It worries me, but I just don't want to go through the camera up the bum situation again. Where did you hear that fissures are common with prolapse?
Del1982

Postby UK fissure chick » 21 Aug 2012, 07:05

Hi Savi
Thanks for the link, I will check that out. Any info helps :)
Diverticulosis, thats a new one for me! I sometimes wonder if its the area where the problem is being difficult or is it all really that difficult to diagnose lol?! I really hope they get you sorted soon and sympathise with you Image
I am not sure what they will do in clinic, but have now got my works occupational Health to put some pressure on them so I can get this sorted. Will keep you posted.
Thanks for posting :) Image
UK fissure chick
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Fred55 » 26 Jun 2022, 11:11

Hi there,
I came across your posts in here and I know it's been a very long time but was wondering to see if you managed to fix your problem? Any advice would be appreciated/thanks
Fred55
Salt Bather