New Member with AF

Just had surgery today

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New Member with AF

Postby Sean » 21 Oct 2022, 20:44

Hello all,

I just registered but I used this forum while researching AFs earlier this year and found it both VERY comforting and informative. So first of all I want to thank all the members for sharing their stories.

My info: 36, male generally healthy but former smoker of 15 years both tobacco and Marijuana.

In my early 30's I noticed some streaks of blood only 3 or 4 times per year when wiping after a poo. Just thought I was wiping too aggressively and never sought medical help. Late 2021 I was GM of a restaurant and was more stressed out than I've ever been and the blood showed up almost weekly so I thought it might be an ulcer. Saw a colon and rectal Dr. who diagnosed me with an AF. We took the conservative approach and I applied a cream 3x each day for 4 weeks. I also increased fiber intake to 30g daily and increased water intake to about 60 oz daily.. This worked and I didn't see blood for about 3 months. Then it came back, but just a little. I saw my dr. again and he said the AF would keep coming back no matter how much cream I used and the best option would be anal fissurectomy and spincterotomy. I was scared and hesitant to have surgery in my butt so I ate even more fiber and drank even more water. Didn't help, thats when I found this site. After realizing MANY more people were having much more serious symptoms than I was and everyone was having success stories with these procedures I decided to schedule surgery.

So I just had a fissurectomy and sphincterotomy today. My Dr. said everything went as planned and was successful overall with no complications!

I'm off work for the next 6 days so I figured I'd have time to login here and share my story and hopefully help someone else in the future.

I'll learn how to use this site and post more about my recovery.

Thanks again for making such a cool resource y'all!
Sean

Topics: 1

Re: New Member with AF

Postby Natasja/tassie2022 » 31 Oct 2022, 07:07

Welkom ik heb me vandaag ook geregistreerd ik word vrijdag geopereerd aan AF na botox en fissurectomie geen resultaat nog steeds veel pijn dus nu laatste optie LIS
Natasja/tassie2022
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Natasja/tassie2022 » 02 Nov 2022, 02:17

Sean wrote:Hello all,

I just registered but I used this forum while researching AFs earlier this year and found it both VERY comforting and informative. So first of all I want to thank all the members for sharing their stories.

My info: 36, male generally healthy but former smoker of 15 years both tobacco and Marijuana.

In my early 30's I noticed some streaks of blood only 3 or 4 times per year when wiping after a poo. Just thought I was wiping too aggressively and never sought medical help. Late 2021 I was GM of a restaurant and was more stressed out than I've ever been and the blood showed up almost weekly so I thought it might be an ulcer. Saw a colon and rectal Dr. who diagnosed me with an AF. We took the conservative approach and I applied a cream 3x each day for 4 weeks. I also increased fiber intake to 30g daily and increased water intake to about 60 oz daily.. This worked and I didn't see blood for about 3 months. Then it came back, but just a little. I saw my dr. again and he said the AF would keep coming back no matter how much cream I used and the best option would be anal fissurectomy and spincterotomy. I was scared and hesitant to have surgery in my butt so I ate even more fiber and drank even more water. Didn't help, thats when I found this site. After realizing MANY more people were having much more serious symptoms than I was and everyone was having success stories with these procedures I decided to schedule surgery.

So I just had a fissurectomy and sphincterotomy today. My Dr. said everything went as planned and was successful overall with no complications!

I'm off work for the next 6 days so I figured I'd have time to login here and share my story and hopefully help someone else in the future.

I'll learn how to use this site and post more about my recovery.

Thanks again for making such a cool resource y'all!

Hoe gaat het nu met je?
Natasja/tassie2022
Salt Bather

Postby Sean » 02 Nov 2022, 02:51

Hello again

Update:
11 days after surgery. I'm doing very well!
My first BM was the day after surgery and it did hurt pretty bad and had some blood after. My second BM was the next day, only slight pain but a lot more blood which was a little scary. Every BM since then has been no pain and just a small amount of blood for the first 7 days. I have been changing a guaze pad I tape between my cheeks every 4-8 hrs since the day of the surgery. Its been a way to visually keep track of healing, and to prevent soiled clothing. Doctor said to expect blood and discharge for 2-3 weeks. There was a consistent amount of blood every time I changed guaze for the first 7 days. Then it almost completely stopped and now there is only a small amount of yellow discharge. Only tiny reddish tints on occasion. I took sitz baths 3x daily for 7 days, now only 2x daily. I took a few extra days off work and I'm thankful my employer was understanding of my needs. Overall there has been very little pain down there but it is still uncomfortable to sit normally and to bend over or kneel down. Sometimes after a BM it stings for about 5 minutes. I'm not using toilet paper, instead rinsing in the bathtub which is why I wasn't ready to go back to work after 6 days like I had planned. I'm maintaining my high fiber/ vegetarian diet and taking 1 or 2 Colace stool softeners daily to hopefully heal up completely. The first 7 days were tough to stay positive because the healing isn't visible but I just kept doing what the doctor said and kept my faith that good things would happen. I have a follow up appointment with my doctor in 6 days so I hope to be able to share more positive news then!
Sean

Topics: 1

Postby Natasja/tassie2022 » 02 Nov 2022, 05:35

Nou ik ben zo benieuwd over 2 dagen krijg ik mijn LIS
Natasja/tassie2022
Salt Bather

Postby Rich44 » 05 Nov 2022, 20:18

Natasja/tassie2022 wrote:Nou ik ben zo benieuwd over 2 dagen krijg ik mijn LIS
Would you mind typing in English? I don't think most of us speak Dutch. Met dank.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of April 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Natasja/tassie2022 » 05 Nov 2022, 22:27

Yestherdsy i get my LIS
Natasja/tassie2022
Salt Bather