? Nerve damage from hemorrhoid banding

Nerve damage

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

? Nerve damage from hemorrhoid banding

Postby Fifijess » 01 Feb 2016, 20:16

Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone acquired nerve damage from hemorrhoid banding? I had internals banded 3 months ago and have been in constant pain since. I developed a fissure during surgery which my surgeon said was all that was wrong. But I couldnt understand why I have a constant dull ache. Am finding im unable to hold any longer than 20 seconds then need to have a BM and have a burning sensation when urinating. Perineum and pubis area ultra ultra sensitive. I'm seeing a CRS next week for a second opinion but was wondering if anyone has experienced these symptoms. Is it pudendal nerve damage I wonder? I didn't think all this was possible from just banding. Thanks for reading and am hoping to get a response. Best wishes to all
Fifijess
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: ? Nerve damage from hemorrhoid banding

Postby pinpin » 26 Mar 2016, 16:04

Hi,

Welcome, and sorry for late respond. I have never experienced nerve damage, as you describe.

How are you these days?
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Fifijess » 28 Mar 2016, 18:40

Hi Pin Pin thanks for asking. Saw a CRS about 7 weeks ago that confirmed I have an ulcer higher up in the rectum presumably from the banding. She didn't think I have pudendal nerve damage. She aked what I wanted fixed-the incontinence or the pain and I chose pain. She she put me on nifedipine ointment so that the ulcer could heal. I encountered no problems with the first ointment but 2 weeks later when I purchased the second ointment it stung from the first application. Stupidly I continued for four days until I couldn't take the pain. I had rung the pharmacist a few times but they insisted it was the same formulation until another said that they changed suppliers of the parafin so maybe I was allergic to that. That was a month ago and since then I feel like I'm red raw with a constant burning sensation. I've tried sudocrem, antibiotic cream and vitamin e capsule oil but they all sting so I can't use anything there anymore. When I saw the CRS last week she said I can either try do nothing,try the nifepipine in a different base or Botox but she wasn't keen on Botox so I opted for nifedipine in a different base. She prescribed silicone but she warned it may sting for 10 seconds and if there the case to contact her for another script. I haven't purchased it yet as I'm so raw and I worry I'll just react and get worse so at the moment I'm not applying anything and living with the pain. All I can do is pray. How are you? Hope you're well and had a happy Easter.
Fifijess
Fibre Addict

Postby pinpin » 29 Mar 2016, 00:33

Thank you for asking, I am generally okay.

You mostly describe your symptoms around stinging and burning. Do you believe you have got spasms pain? You should try nifidipine for at least 3-4 weeks, it is important to do it regularly, as it theory it should relax your spasms and tension, and give an ulcer chance to heal. If it is does not, next step is usually Botox, but it may end up with side effects as infection, the same for LIS. LIS is more permanent fix relaxing your muscles, if you are man and you found reliable doctor, that is most secure thing to fix things. But don't hurry, consult with your doctor try nifidipine or nitro glycerin first.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Fifijess » 29 Mar 2016, 02:21

Hi Pin Pin. I don't think the pain is spasms. I remember after the banding for a few weeks the pain I had just before a BM and for about half an hour later and I believe they were spasms. Horrible experience-felt like menstual cramps in there. I'm scared to use nifedipine or any cream due to the allergic response. This new constant burn has been since I used the nifedipine and isn't improving. So scared about Botox as I already have incontinence and I am downright petrified of LIS. Just wish I wasnt allergic to creams. My GP said my blood pressure is too low to be taking oral nifedipine. Seems like youve been through some tough time too-hope youre heaps better. Thanks for responding. :)
Fifijess
Fibre Addict

Postby Tallerthanmost » 11 Dec 2016, 13:57

Hi @Fifijess.
How are things going?
I have stage 3 internal prolapsed hemerroids with a gnarly fissure that causes so many kinds of pain, I won't bother with the details.
I go in for banding in 2 days and I'm concerned about developing more/different pain.
Can I ask if your cramping/pain has lessened to date?
Tallerthanmost

Postby Fifijess » 13 Dec 2016, 21:25

Hi tallerthanmost. Sorry I only just saw your post. I think I may have just been unlucky because I know of many people for which the banding was successful. Hemorrhoid wise I still get a little puffy down there if my fiber has not been adequate, but the prolapse and wetness are gone. Fissure wise I believe I still have the fissure/ulcer but i cannot apply anything topically as i have developed skin sensitivity (it burns if i apply anything even natural products like oils). On the whole thank God i would say i am better as i would say i have some discomfort-not full on pain. I only started seeing an improvement maybe a month ago which is when i decided to just use soap and nothing else. I think you'll be much improved after the banding and let me know how you fare
Fifijess
Fibre Addict

Postby kamard2300 » 25 Jan 2023, 09:59

Hello fifijess;
I am a girl, I am 26 years old, I have the same thing SAME SAME as you. About the banding, about the nifedipidine ...
I wanted to know how thing sorted out for you.. I loose hope, I have been feeling bad since months and I just want to know how things turned out for you pease
kamard2300
Salt Bather