Talking and healing are better than surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Talking and healing are better than surgery

Postby dmcff » 10 Jun 2023, 03:39

Colorectal surgeon Dr. Albert Chung talks about his reluctance to do LIS for anal fissure:

Recurrence of these fissures is common, about 10 to 20 percent in my opinion, okay, and the research is all over the place, there's not a true number. What that tells me then is that surgery is not the right answer for many people, okay, and when they get their recurrence and they come into my office - because this happened before - they say "Dr. Chung, we went through this surgery, why do I have another cut again, why is this happening again, I went through a tough surgery of the anus recovery, why?" And I don't have an answer. That's one of the things that makes it so difficult for me to have this conversation, and for that reason again is why I have not done this surgery procedure since about 2017-2018, and I find that talking to the person, going over your life in detail and the habits around your pooping and your eating is by far more helpful, and the need to do a surgery goes to zero in my opinion. I've healed fissures that were there for over a year, and the knowledge that the patient has the strength to be able to get their quality of life back and to get these things to heal over and over again is by far more helpful and much more powerful than doing a surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP8HrvSg4WA
Last edited by dmcff on 10 Jun 2023, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I think this info is worth preserving
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Re: Talking and healing are better than surgery

Postby ruchgupt » 10 Jun 2023, 16:59

Honestly, this is my wish. To find a provider or care team who can really help me do the detective work and support me in finding the way habit change can make a difference here. I think the challenge is that bc bodies are so different, everyone has very specific and unique circumstances and conditions that create the right environment for healing, and it can feel daunting. Surgery feels like The Answer and then when a retear happens it can feel like the end of the world. It would to me be more empowering to know I had the tools to properly treat the thing that might keep popping up, or to prevent it. But I just have not arrived at a place where I know those tools for ME yet. Thanks for sharing!
ruchgupt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Talking and healing are better than surgery

Postby dmcff » 11 Jun 2023, 05:33

I'd recommend Dr. Chung's YouTube channel - I'm not associated with him, but I think he does provide some valuable tools and ways of thinking that can help us in our confrontation with AF, which as you point out may vary widely in nature from one individual to another.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52