Having LIS and Fissurectomy on Tuesday - Nervous

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Having LIS and Fissurectomy on Tuesday - Nervous

Postby mac93 » 19 Oct 2023, 17:56

Hello,
I've been suffering with a fissure since March thought it was a hemorrhoid, diagnosed at the end of June, on Diltiazem until late September and on Rectiv until now.
My CRS said it's unlikely to heal at this point given how long I've been on the medication and Botox has only a 50/50 chance of working. He suggested that surgery (LIS and Fissurectomy) would be my best option. I'm worried about the recovery and the possibility of incontinence. I'm 30 years old, male and I don't want this to ruin my life but I can't take the pain.
My doctor said I will be fine and the chances of a permanent issue like that are extremely slim. He has a great bedside manner, answers all of my questions and I really feel comfortable with him. Other doctors I've spoken to speak highly of him and he gets great reviews online so I trust he is a good surgeon.

I'm wondering if I'm worrying for nothing. I'm excited to not be in pain but nervous what could happen or having an even more painful recovery than the fissure.

My surgery is on Tuesday and I just want to know what I'm in for from someone who has been through this.

Thanks!!
mac93
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Having LIS and Fissurectomy on Tuesday - Nervous

Postby mac93 » 20 Oct 2023, 14:30

I spoke with my doctor, he said in my situation its just going to be a very small cut and it is unlikely that I will have any issues where I won't be able to keep my poop in. The fissurectomy is more like cleaning the wound up a little bit. He said it's going to be really minor and I'll be feeling better after a few days.
mac93
Fibre Addict

Postby Hazey123 » 21 Oct 2023, 02:20

Hi Mac93
I wish you all the best with your surgery! There are lots of threads on here about LIS itself and recovery. I haven’t had this procedure but I do know that surgeons are often quick to say a procedure will only take a few days to recover and in reality it takes a lot longer! So just prepare yourself work wise etc for a longer recovery (let’s hope it is a few days but I doubt it!!) hopefully all will be fine in the end. Lots of people have had LIS with no issues and it has really helped. There are always risks with surgery so just do your research first thoroughly. Saying you are unlikely to heal naturally at this stage is not necessarily correct as there are plenty here who have taken a long road to recovery and got there naturally. However it’s a long and difficult road for some altho I suspect we on here are the ones with a bumpier road hence the need to reach out. But I wish you all the best of luck and please let us know how your procedure goes!
AF following skin tag surgery Feb 2022
GTN ointment
sigmoidoscopy & EUA Sept 2022 no fissure found
2nd opinion Jan 2023 fissure diagnosed, diltiazem - allergic
recommended Botox Fissurectomy
3rd opinion - dilation 2x per day plus GTN ….
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Postby mac93 » 24 Oct 2023, 16:02

For anyone reading this down the line I had my surgery earlier today. I'm in very little pain, only minor bleeding. No BM yet but I'm in full control of my gas so it seems like I had no adverse effects. Hopefully in a few weeks my fissure will heal up and I'll be able to put this 8 month nightmare behind me.
mac93
Fibre Addict

Postby Hazey123 » 25 Oct 2023, 08:51

Wow congrats!! How are you today? Keep us posted! I hope you recover well
GTN ointment
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Postby mac93 » 25 Oct 2023, 10:35

Hazey123 wrote:Wow congrats!! How are you today? Keep us posted! I hope you recover well

The pain when I woke up was the worst of it. Advil and Tylenol plus a warm sitz bath and then an ice pack calmed everything down. Much less blood today than yesterday. All in all the pain is less than the fissure. I have surgical pain for sure but the burning aching glass shards of fissure pain is totally gone after this.
mac93
Fibre Addict

Postby mac93 » 25 Oct 2023, 12:11

I also wanted to add that the first BM yesterday definitely had pain and bleeding after but this morning the BM had much less pain and blood. After a sitz bath and a painkiller right now I have zero pain. That is definitely the painkiller but still it's great to not be in pain for a while. The fissure pain is gone since the surgery, while I was in preop getting my IV put in I had to stand it was so bad. Now I can relax and I feel fantastic a day later. At this point I just have to keep the area clean so I can heal up and avoid infection.
mac93
Fibre Addict

Postby mac93 » 25 Oct 2023, 16:24

The painkiller has worn off and I still am basically pain free, the surgical area is tender but this is so much better than just prior to the surgery when I could barely sit. Having LIS was the best decision I could have possibly made. It's important to have a skilled colorectal surgeon that you trust. If you have any doubts about the doctor then find a better one! This procedure can be done safely by a skilled professional and can provide relief pretty quickly.
mac93
Fibre Addict

Postby Hazey123 » 26 Oct 2023, 01:03

Fantastic news mac93! That must be such a relief. Sadly as a female in the uk this surgery is not recommended. I hope eventually to be pain free naturally. I’m improving slowly so cross fingers. It’s really good to hear a positive surgery story tho so I hope it continues to heal well for you.
GTN ointment
Hazey123
Salt Bather