A Better Day

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

A Better Day

Postby Guest » 20 Apr 2007, 09:40

Wed. hurt a lot. I decided to stay home Thurs. and try to heal.
Thursday was not totally without pain but it was a whole lot better. There was no excruciating pain and most of the day it never rose above mildly uncomfortable, except for right after the BM in the morning. At that time it was pretty painful , not the BM itself but the spasm that came right after.
I have taken off today as well. Again the BM itself was not really painful it began to hurt imediately after the feces passed. There has been no blood since Thursday 4/12. Anyway, I laid in the tub 15 to 20 minutes, pain ceased, got up and ate brkfst. intermittent pain began an hour or so later, mild in level of severity though in comparison to Wed.
It has been a week now that I have been applying the deltiazem, in reading accounts on theis forum I am figuring it may be several more days before I can expect anything like a pain free day.
Does that sound reasonably correct to you guys?
Kim/Hugh,
I am taking your advice and doing nothing. When the pain is slight to nonexistent I am remembering that I have a wound and I need to do nothing so it can heal instead of trying to do chores and repairs etc here oln the farm. Its hard but I know that is the smart thing to do.
Thanks and God Bless All!
WA

Re: A Better Day

Postby Guest » 20 Apr 2007, 09:54

I know it is hard to sit back and relax but it is important. Case in point-I was having a great day a few weeks ago and decided I was going to spread mulch in our backyard because it had been sitting there for over a month and my husband had been to busy to get to it. So I spent a few hours climbing hills and dragging mulch up with the rake. The next day I started bleeding again and it took me a week to get back to where I was in terms of being healed. So yes, take it easy! Even if it seems like a good day. Take advantage of the days off you took by focusing on healing.
I am not sure when to expect a totally pain free day. I still haven't had one and I have had this going on for 4 months, but you have to keep in mind I had rectal surgery before in the same area so of course I was starting at a point of disadvantage. I think you need to just compare how you are doing week by week.
Do you feel better than you did last week at this time? Maybe document it so on those days when you wonder if you are getting better you can look back and see that you have made some progress.
Take care,
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Apr 2007, 10:04

When the pain is slight to nonexistent I am remembering that I have a wound
That's a good message for all of us, even us post-surgery folks.
Continue to get as much rest over the weekend as you can. Try not to sit directly on the fissure any. I used the one-cheek method a lot :)
It sounds like the cream may already be helping! Keep doing what you're doing!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 20 Apr 2007, 23:48

went to dinner tonite. had salmon, steamed vegetables and iced tea. I felt fine all through the evening. At 11pm I arrived home and had t take a BM. I had applied some diltiazem at about 6:30 pm .
Hopped in the tub after the BM . By midnite I was spasming, the first time that I have had this trouble late at night.
By 1am I had taken a valium, another ultram and applied a pea size spot of diltiazem. 2 am still spasming. Pretty mizerable.
Pretty hard tro be optimistic right now.
I pray to God that he will deliver me from this pain!

Postby Guest » 21 Apr 2007, 06:46

I am sorry you had a terrible night. Gosh you must be exhausted after that. Was that your first bm of the day so late?
It is always the darkest before the dawn and pain in the middle of the night can make us so fearful and downhearted. I will continue to pray for your healing and that God will guide you in what you need to do to get better.
When do you go back to the doctor's? How long of a trial of the cream did he recommend before considering other treatments? I hate to think of you in such pain but I can relate.
Can I share a scripture that helps me? It is from Isaiah 43:
"Behold I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness
And rivers in the desert."
Also check out: Psalm 27: 1,3, Isaiah 40:31, Isaiah, 41:10, Psalm 34: 19.
Blessings and Peace be multiplied to you,
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 21 Apr 2007, 10:57

You know, MB, I always thought it was a good sign when someone's CRS showed restraint and advised against surgery until it was clear the AF wouldn't heal on its own. Like in your case.
At some point you will decide you've had enough and opt for the surgery, if it doesn't heal. It will just be strictly up to you when that point arrives. Until then, all you can do is take the baths, the cream, and the diet and try to avoid stress.
I'll send some healing vibes your way, regardless!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 21 Apr 2007, 12:15

Thanks Guys!!
You know this thing is so different thatn anything that I have ever dealt with (duh). I mean this morning at 2 am it hurt like crazy, I could not get away from the pain. I tried walking, soaking, rolling in the floor, and nothing seemed to be doing much good. All of this was combined with prayer throughout. Somewhere between 2 and 3 am the pain eased and I fell asleep. When I awoke at about 8:30 am I felt relatively fine.
I had a glass water, a cup of coffee and dreaded the coming BM (BTW yeaterday I had my normal morningBM and then a second one at 11PM last night) When I did go for my normal constitutional it burned alittle, was soft but formed in many pieces; immediately upon the passing of the stool it began to spasm and hurt like the devil. I hopped in the old tub and soaked for about 15 minutes and felt okay. Bathed got up and felt tolerably well the rest of the AM and early afternoon. Not totally without discomfort but no real PAIN either.
I have determined that I am going to take 4 colace softgels as opposed to the two I have been taking to try and get my stool a bit softer. The CRS had stated that he wanted the stool to be fluffy wihout form.
Any way GO FIGURE because I can't get it figured out.
As Lecia said though I think I need to look on this week to week instead of hour by hour and day by day. When I do look at this past week in comparison to the week before this one was Quite improved.
Sooo I will Endeaver to Persevere!
Thanks for your time, your responses, advice, good thoughts and Prayers!!
WA aka Monkeybutt

Postby Guest » 21 Apr 2007, 12:26

Yeah, fissures are weird entities. They can give you very little pain or they can have you crying out for Mercy! I wonder if your sitting at the restaurant and then having the second BM just put you over the edge for that day.
When I am having a really bad day I have to remind myself that tomorrow may be a better day and I have to hang on and give my body a chance to heal!
Glad things have settled down today for you. Nighttime pain is the worst!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 21 Apr 2007, 13:41

As for the colace, I took a double dose around three PM everyday, then another double dose around or sometimes before bedtime. So, yes, I see no harm in taking two.
You certainly will drive yourself crazy eventually if you do try to deal with your fissure hour by hour, day by day.
Think about a point a couple or more months down the road, and tell yourself, if I'm not x% healed and better, then it's time to do something else. That's eventually the point I reached.
Our prayers are that you will heal soon!
Deleted User 5