Painful BM past Spasm comes on 2-3 hours post BM, Why?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Painful BM past Spasm comes on 2-3 hours post BM, Why?

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2007, 11:49

Since Sunday , nine days into using the diltiazem the pain upon passing a motion has pretty well ceased. If it hurts at all it is when the sphincter closes off at the comploetion of the motion. But the spasm now comes on a couple of hours later and will get excrutiating for an hour to three. Then it passes and I feel like a normal person generally until the next BM.
Any thoughts?
Thanks and God Bless!
WA

Re: Painful BM past Spasm comes on 2-3 hours post BM, Why?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 26 Apr 2007, 12:14

That sounds like my fissure, even before I used the cream. I rarely had a painful BM, but twenty to forty minutes later, I would get wave after wave of spasms for about 3 - 4 hours!
Made the first half of my work day miserable.
So you are probably normal in that respect, MB!
The spasms are the primary reason the fissure won't heal. Your anus and rectum are so tight, that the blood flow to the fissure area is highly restricted and proper healing can't take place.
Apparently, the fissure site needs constant, 24/7 blood flow for proper healing, and that ain't gonna happen with spasm going on.
At first, for about three or four months, I felt normal, too, after the spasms passed. But after that, my but was sore all the time and sitting became problematic all day long.
That's why you don't need to wait seven months like I did. If it doesn't get better soon, it will probably, slowly, get worse.
Also, we are close in age, though I'm a few years younger. We probably would have very similar symptoms.
Hang in there, and it's good to hear from you!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2007, 12:30

Well, it sounds like progress! I mean you aren't in as much pain as you were. I think it would be helpful to increase the soaking time and diltiazem. That muscle needs to be relaxed.
Do you have a lot of stress in your life? I wonder if that can cause you to tense up especially when you are in pain. Even when you are feeling better and having a good day I would still do the routine of baths and cream. I don't have an active fissure but I still soak a few times a day just to keep things relaxed and help with the skin tag.
Thanks for checking in and God bless you too!
Lecia

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2007, 16:22

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input. Today has been a real booger. I have taken myself out of the schedule at work for the week , but have tried to go in when I felt that I could, just to check mail and return some phone calls, and kind of make an appearance.
Day before yesterday, I went in about mid morning, I felt fine before I got in the car, by the time I made the 10 mile commute to town I was in a fair bit of pain. But I could stand that. 15 minutes or so later though it really wound up and I was crawling around on the floor of my office (with the door closed of course) to try and relieve the pain. It didn't. I called my dear wife and Thank God she was able to come over and pick me up and carry me home. I had to lay in the back seat and moan and groan all the way home. Naturally, this made her very distraught and she wanted to take a left and go to the ER. But there was nothing they could do. so I successfully resisted that plan. God Love here she cannot understand how I can be in such pain and there be nothing they can do to relieve it. Believe it or not,. I am not the wimp I suspect this all makes me sound like. I have been thrown from horses, broken ribs, and rode several hours to get back out to civilization: I had a major gallbladder attack in Canada on a hunting trip and made the 25 hour trip home by car with no pain meds, etc. etc.... NOTHING has ever been as debilitating as these dad-burned spasms. The painful BMs were really bad feeling like someone had heated up wads of barbed wire and made me pass them. But that was not debilitating like these spasms. Kim, you have my utmost respect for pain tolerance, because I do not see how you were able to work with that pain. I CAN'T.
Ahalf hour after I got home that day the spasm passed and I felt fine the rest of the day and evening.
Yesterday started out fine , I did not work but gave an elderly neighbor a ride to the doctors office at 10 am , again felt fine when i got in the vehicle. I got considerable pain while at the Docs office . Got home at 12:30 and felt fine the rest jof the day.
Today, Up at 7am felt fine. BM at 7:45 no Pain. Slight spasm right after hopped in tub for 10 minutes and felt fine. took a sitz bath at 9:30 ; at 11 a bit of spasm but not too bad . AT noon IT came on and sporadically ranged from 0 to mild to exruciating over the next 5 hours.
Any way I am sceduled to see the surgeon( who incidentally told me he has treated about a thousand of these anal fissures) (he has been paracticing for about 21 years)next Wednesday. If he is inclined to recommend surgery I will try to have it as quickly as possible.
I am so thankfu jto you all, particularly Lecia, and Kim for your input and putting up with my venting and bemoaning my pain and fear. I truly feel somewhat ashamed for bemoaning my situation in light of so much suffering that is beyond mine in intensity and severity . I realize that my Butt is a long way from my heart but it REALLY HURTS.
Thanks again and God Bless!
WA

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2007, 16:34

Oh, you poor thing! I totally know and I think all of us know how painful it can be. It can bring a grown man (and woman) to tears. Even the toughest. It is the most humbling, painful thing, isn't it.
Don't worry noone here will think you are a wimp at all! I thought I was tough-2 natural childbirths, removal of a kidney, burn debridment etc. but this pain is the worst!!!!
My friend's husband had this too and she had to drive him to the ER one day the spasms got so bad!
I am thinking that you may need to just go for the surgery. You are in way too much pain and it is controlling your life. I think you should pray about it as I am sure you are and let God lead you in your decision. I think the risks are pretty small with the surgery and although I haven't had it the members here who have, had a lot of relief from it.
I feel for you and will keep praying for a resolution to this for you. I hate to see you all or read about the suffering but I want to say you are not alone! We'll back you up and support you what ever you decide.
Take care,
Lecia

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion