Home From Surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Home From Surgery

Postby Guest » 02 May 2007, 14:58

Got home from surgery at 1:30 with a 45 minute drive. It is now4:15 pm edlst.
It was a Breeze!!!!
Got there at 7:30 registered sent to a room to get a gown etc... taken into a room and laid on a gurney.
They put an IV in my hand( not a problem at all I have had rose bush thorns hurt a lot more. Took history questions .
Doc came in quickley repeated what he was going to do. He said they sould do a flexible sigmoidoscopy, take out any thing that they may find, perform a closed internal lateral sphincterotomy; he said i would be numbed down there so when i woke up i would feel no pain down there but as the hours wore on i would feel sore there becaus they were going to be using probes , scopes needles and knives down there. he said afterward i would stay at hospital until I could urinate. if i had trouble at home to lie in a warm tub, if that did not work go to the closest ER and get a catheter. I am glad to sy I have urinated 5 times since the surgery. He told me he would givve me something for the pain etc... Anasthseologist came in , likewise told me wha t he wasgoing to do. Prep nurse started meds. , one of which relaxed me quite a bit. My wife was there at that time. a few minutes later a minister friend of ours surprized us and came through the door . we talked for a bit and then prayed . He left. Two OR nurses came in one that works with the anasth. and one that works with the surgeon. They were very nice as was everyone and wheeled me into the operating room. They started an IV and told me I would start to get sleepy I did and then I woke up asking if we had won and waseveryone happy and satisfied. I began to get the sense of having to go to the bathroom ie pass a stool. the nurse said probably not , that it was the manner that the pain began to come on. I felt a need to urinate she allowed me to go to the lavatory iurnated and the feeling largely passed.
The drive home was uneventful . My dear Bride fixed me a1/2 bagel and cream cheese (4 grm fiber), bowl of fruit(strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, ) and an allbran bar (5gram) and then took off to the drgstore toget vicodin and allamental cream. he said to take no less than 2 sitz baths or as many as i could.
It is now about 7 hours after the surgery and although I am a bit sore back there I have not gotten any real pain. I took a vicodin at the hospital about 11:30 5.5 hours ago.
I am getting a sense of gas I have passed some gas with soom loose loose stool once in the toilet.
I have not been able to bear to feel back there yet.
All in all I am thrilled.
Fearful of BM and constipation. I have drank 60 ounces of water since the surgery
Any advice or thoughts appreciated !!!
God Bless All!!

Re: Home From Surgery

Postby Guest » 02 May 2007, 15:09

Yea! I am thrilled to hear the news that you are safe and sound and doing well. Thanks for taking the time to post all of the info about your experience.
You have been such a great contributor here and hope you can stick around and give out advice now!
Keep us posted on how things go and how you are feeling! I am so excited that you are not going to be crawling around in pain anymore. That just made me so sad when I read that and now you are all done with the surgery!
Just keep doing what you are doing to keep things going and soft. You are going to be fine. The worst is behind you! The swelling in your bottom will go down with time-best not to fiddle around with feeling it right now-it will be out of sorts for a bit!
Blessings!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 May 2007, 15:38

HOOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been on pins and needles waiting to hear from you all day. You had it even easier than me, as i could not urinate and eventually had to be catheterized, that was the worst part of my hospital stay, but they did keep me over night.
There is alot I want to say, MB, but right now, you need some rest. Go get some!
Have you noticed, BTW....No spasms today, eh???
None tomorrow,
none friday,
No more ever!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 02 May 2007, 19:17

Sounds like we had a very similar experience...your recounting of the surgery procedure sounds like mine on Monday!
I'm glad you are home and doing well, rest up! It's over, horray!!
Tomorrow may be more painful then today for you, i know it was for me, but I'm on day 3 now and already feeling better!!
Suzy

Postby Guest » 02 May 2007, 21:47

not quite the breeze it was this afternoon. I think that is because thenumbing agent has worn off. I took two vicodin at 6:30 it is now 11:10 . the pain , however, is aching and much less than the spasming pain i was feeling yesterday.
on a scale of 1-10 my pain is ranging from a 2 to 4. constant aching, with the more acute pain or more severe aching when I get the sense of having to deficate or pass gas. After that sense passes either by passing gas or subsides without the gas passing, the sense of pain lowers back to a 2.
My throat is a bit sore from the tube they put down for the anasthesia.
I have taken 1sitz bath so far and plan to take one just gefore bed.
I have eaten :
a bowl of fruit, two yogerts, 4 servings of jello, 1/2 bagel w/cream cheese, bowl of progresso soup and aturkey sanwich with lettuce and tomato, banana 100ounces of water
I have taken 300mg of colace, two this afternoon and 1 this evening; two metamucil capsules, and 5 fiberchioce tablets.
I am quite fearful of the BM i suspect I will have tomorrow.
I at first thought that the aching I am experiencing was a continuance of the spasm just at a lower level . I am now convinced that the ache is just that, an ache as a result of of the surgical procedure.
Thanks for all the advice.
God Bless All!!

Postby Guest » 02 May 2007, 21:57

Oh yeah, you are just hurting from the surgery-so don't panic and think these awful spasms are coming back full force. You will have lots of weird butt sensations for awhile but the pain will get better and most people have said on here they felt pretty normal or near normal 1-1 1/2 weeks after. Just take one day at a time and don't set a particular time table for healing. It will come faster now though and without the excruciating pain you were in.
L.