Balneol Cream - A godsend

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Balneol Cream - A godsend

Postby erik » 22 May 2007, 20:38

Hi All,
I guess i can almost be considered an anal fissure expert as I have gone through one hell of a battle. I got my "blueprint for healing" from this site.
http://patients.uptodate.com/image.asp?file=gast_pix/rx_anal_.htm
Here are the things I have done to try to heal:
1. I modified my diet. more water, more fiber little fats. I also use baby wipes to wipe and i bought little squirt bottles (from target) to wash off after bowel movement.
I also use a cream called "Balneol" which you can get from drugstore.com which really works well for irritation of the perianal area.
http://www.balneol.com/
(I just started to use it an it is amazing!) also found that badger healing balm is a nice bum lubricant. (all natural too)
www.balmworks.com
2. I used dilizapam (sp? ) cream for 8 weeks x 2 (helped a bit but still fissure came back)
3. To my wits end I decided to get botox injections which put my arse to sleep for 2 months (was bliss but hell was around the corner as my fissure returned at the end of month 2)
4. I went the distance and had the LIS. Helped get me to get 85% healed with alot of the pain gone but still bleed maybe once or twice a month if I have a difficult movement. still fragile and on step #1 to maintain and encourage healing.
5. time & tears & hope. many times i have been overwhelmed by this simple but painful problem. I am an officer in the military and have often worried about being medically kicked out. I have worried about crohn's despite not having any other symptoms (loose stools etc.). My life seems to be controlled by my bowel movements, and age 33 that really sucks. But I fight on, I am happy to answer any questions on what has worked and what it was like to go on this fissure journey.
best of luck healing and you are not alone!
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Balneol Cream - A godsend

Postby Deleted User 5 » 22 May 2007, 20:48

Thanks, Eric, for your offer of expertise! There can never be enough information here(as long as it's accurate!) and your experience can be a Godsend to many people...we have too many people who stumble upon this forum desperate for any advice on how to heal their fissures or manage their pain -- your input would be welcome!!
4. I went the distance and had the LIS. Helped get me to get 85% healed with alot of the pain gone but still bleed maybe once or twice a month if I have a difficult movement. still fragile and on step #1 to maintain and encourage healing.
This is an important point you bring up...even though the pain may be gone, the underlying problem is still there and doesn't always just completely go away. If I have too many BMs in a day, I still see a little blood. Just a little. And I am six months out from having had the LIS....Fortunately for me, all the pain is completely gone.
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby erik » 22 May 2007, 20:53

Thanks Kim. I am two months out and at the first sight of a little blood thought all was lost. I guess it can take awhile, atleast the horrible pain has receded. This is a great forum!
erik
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 22 May 2007, 21:15

Yes, Welcome and thanks for sharing so much on your first post. You are pretty unique in that you have tried the creams, botox and the surgery so you have experience with all three in dealing with your fissure.
My CRS recommended Balneol to me too but it actually caused irritation in my case but it does come highly recommended. I now use aloevera on the site to help with healing.
I can't imagine dealing with this in the military system and hope you are getting good care and follow-up with everything. You have a good attitude and I think it is neat that you posted on her to help others too. We appreciate a lot!
Again welcome and we'll all get through this together!

Postby erik » 26 May 2007, 23:18

the military does provide me with great medical insurance and has enabled me to have the million dollar bum (well not really a million but botox & and LIS aren't cheap.)
frankly my biggest worry is being sent to iraq...which is difficult enough without a chronic anal fissure. A war zone is no place for a torn bum. the thought of no baths, poor food, war fatigue and little privacy is a daunting one.
the comforts of home are many!
that is why i have been doing my best to heal. I really think this forum is great as it allows us vets to find support and ideas to heal. having a fissure is a life changing experience and makes those of us who take great pride of being "tough" realize that without rectal health you have nothing. thanks for your time, ideas and support! it is much appreciated!
erik
Salt Bather