Physical Therapy was a godsend

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Physical Therapy was a godsend

Postby softie » 25 Feb 2022, 15:47

I will make a more complete post later on with everything I did, but had to share this first.

Background: I have had a fissure for a year. For those last 2 months I was bedridden with debilitating muscle spasms. Couldn't sit or stand for about 6 hours after bm, every time.

Physical Therapy: my first pelvic floor physical therapy session was 1 week ago. At this appointment, the PT did a massage of the tense muscles inside my rectum. Was a little painful, but tolerable (I've definitely been through worse, with the fissure and spasms).

I am not exaggerating when I say THE VERY NEXT DAY I had practically no pain, either during bm or afterwards! This was the first time I could sit after a bm in over 2 months. I was shocked, and honestly still feel like it's too good to be true.

Of course every person is different, it only been a week, and I can't promise this will work for everyone but please, give physical therapy (with a therapist specialized in the pelvic floor!!) a try. It is relatively non-invasive (aside from of course them sticking a finger up there), quick, and most importantly can be so effective. I'm scheduled to go back to PT once a week.

Other tips: I should also say that though the physical therapy was the most helpful, I've also done other things to help me get to this point. (Including: finding the right amount of daily fiber supplement for my body, 64oz water/day, a glass of warm prune juice every day, 2xdaily miralax, a diet of mostly fruits/vegetables/whole grains, diltiazem-lidocaine perscribed ointment for the rectal region applied before and after a bm, a warm sitz bath after every bm and heating pad for other pain flares, & as-needed tylenol & ibuprofen)
softie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Physical Therapy was a godsend

Postby flatfish » 02 Mar 2022, 12:16

Thanks softie.

Interested in finding a physio, doing the breathing techniques from YouTube (Dr BRI and Michelle Kenway mainly) which seem to helping (I use an app to track my symptoms). Did they explain how/why the massage works?
flatfish
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4