How long 'til Colace works?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How long 'til Colace works?

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 17:06

Hi Everyone,
For those of you who have used Colace, how long did you find until it started working? Also, did you take it twice a day? Can it be used in conjunction with fish oil caplets? (For example, fish oil caplet in the morning, Colace in the afternoon and then before bed.) I'm so anxious about my next trip to the bathroom it's ridiculous!
--Merita

Re: How long 'til Colace works?

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 17:08

I started with 1 colace but I have such a sensitive system that I usually have to halve the dose of just about everything.
I think your idea of doing 1 colace and 1 fish oil capsule sounds like a good place to start.

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 17:22

Merita,
I took one colace at night before I went to bed it seemed to help by the morning. I also drink one small glass of prune juice a day. A small juice glass about 2/3 ounces works for me. I have never tried fish oil but that sounds ok to try.
BBG
Patty

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 17:27

Thanks for the replies! I'm really looking forward to starting the Colace. I did prune juice for a while--actually I overdid it--and I think it's not for me. It set my healing back before I realized what I was doing (abusing a natural laxative) so I have too many negative associations with it. In moderation it probably works--as it does with you--but I just can't go back.
Thanks again. My goodness, this forum rocks!!!
--Merita

Postby Deleted User 5 » 10 Jun 2007, 17:30

I would expect the colace to work within 12 hours, similar to a laxative, but it's *not* a laxative...
It has a different action than prune juice, somewhat. It actually pulls water into your stools to soften them; while prune juice has water, it is really a fiber regimen. Nothing wrong with that, either...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 17:34

I wanted to mention to you guys that aloe vera is a mild natural laxative. I take one capsule a day for preventing hard stools. Just an idea I thought I would throw out there!