Bleeding

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Bleeding

Postby Jo » 08 Dec 2008, 20:51

Last night I had blood show up again.
How discouraging.
:(
I really thought it was gone. It wasn't just a little on the toilet paper. There was quite a bit in the toilet and also clotting on tp. Will this be always there? I had to strain a little to have a bm, but nothing hard or large.
My hemmie surgery was in February and I am not sure if this bleeding is from new hemmie or weak tissue or fissure???
The bleeding continues today. Some pain but not too bad.
Image Image Image
I am not sure what to do. Should I use something for hemmies or should I refill my ointment for fissure?
I will not go back to my local Dr. or surgeon for this. Image
I guess I may be able to go to Mayo in January but I am not looking forward to have anyone look at my butt again. Image
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Re: Bleeding

Postby cherylk » 08 Dec 2008, 23:33

Jo,
That stinks! While at Mayos last August, I had the manometry and then had to have an internal exam to make sure I didn't have an active fissure. I was very fearing of retearing and told them I was recovering from a fissure. They were very understaning in colorectal surgery and found a small instrument with a light (not an anuscope) and were able to examine me with that. I was not sore afterwards at all. Maybe that could be a possibility for you????? I think you have more confidence in the Mayo docs. Straining is very bad to do!! Even a very small amount of blood upsets me, so I totally understand your feelings!! They should be able to definitively tell you if is is a hemroid or not. Internal ones can bleed and are also flared up with consitpation!!
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Corsi » 09 Dec 2008, 01:45

Jo
Do you have pain or is it only the bleeding? I think pain is worse than bleeding? Are you having pain during the day, or any other type of discomfort?
You never healed 100% did you?
I think that when one has had a fissure, discomfort, pain or bleeding when having a BM is so Image and discouraging! It is apparent that this is something we have to live with forever...
I really hope that your fissure will behave again Jo Image
Big Image Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby cherylk » 09 Dec 2008, 04:50

Jo/Corsica,
I don't think we have to live with it forever because look how well Jen and Fiss have healed (and Kim). But I do think the area is prone to reinjury for quite awhile, unfortunately. My local CRS thinks there is a mental component to a fissure, so I think it is very important to work on the mental aspect as well. Also, my Mayo GI doc told me he couldn't help me until I got my anxiety under control, and that is why I agreed to try an A/D because I wasn't being able to deal with the mental angst my bowel and butt issues were causing me. I think it is so very difficult to try to have our bowels AOK every day and it puts a lot of added pressure on ourselves on what to eat, etc. I know every day that whatever is going on with me I will feel a whole lot better after 10 am which is when I take my A/D each day. I also know I am not going to have to do this forever. Staying home and thinking about our butts and guts is also not helpful. I think this tap and line dancing has really helped me get my mind off of myself and my situation. Just some thoughts that hopefully might help others. Hopefully, my comments were not offensive!!
Image Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Corsi » 09 Dec 2008, 05:10

I agree with you because it is the mental side of it that is difficult to deal with after healing I guess "the fear of retearing" will "always" be there...
Especially if one has healed without LIS. To me there is a big difference there, with LIS your sphincter is less tight and without it it will be as tight as before fissure... .
Having an illness, pain, etc. for a long period of time does something to us mentally, and it can be so hard to deal with.
Image Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2008, 06:03

Oh Jo – I am sorry :(
Do use all the creams you can – Yes get a refill and also try a steroid based something like anosol – the steroid works quickly at reducing inflammation , just be sure not to use for a prolonged period , it will help with the pain too Image
Remember to take your mirlax too Jo !
I hope you are doing better today Image
Sending a very big hug your way Image
Cheryl – You could never be offensive ! Image and :wub:
Image Too !

Postby Jen » 09 Dec 2008, 08:38

Jo - I am sorry you have to deal with this. I think stress plays a big part in all this and I know your currently stressed out. However, it is still frusterating because normal people don't bleed when they get stressed out. Is there pain with the BM??? This alone might give you a clue to which is bothering you - hemmies or a fissure. Please get it checked out to be safe. In my situation, I had so much more blood with hemmies. What about you Lecia???
I do think I am healed, however the area is fragile and will always be compromised. I looked with a mirror the other day (something I have not done in months) and I saw my scar. It looks ALOT better, but it is still there although it does not hurt or bleed. A couple months ago the same thing happened to me, I strained and I had some blood, but no pain. I think this is normal. My hubby says this happenes to him every few months or so.
Cheryl -
Do you concider yourself healed? I have not heard anything negative about your BM's in a while.
Tabby - How is the benefiber working?
Corsi - How is that last botox shot working?
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2008, 08:50

Jen Image
I have benifibre but really cannot try it just now :roll: Seriously even my hubby said everytime i get to this stage i experiment with something and it all goes wrong !! Bless him he does listen Image
The short story is I have to wait until January for more botox which is crazy but that is the joys of NHS – My botox check up went well and he said my fissure was a shadow of its former self……
So you can see why I must not rock the boat !!!
Hope to try the Benfibre after the 2nd shot if I make it that far !! Image
Just hanging on with all my might Jen :roll:

Postby Jo » 09 Dec 2008, 10:00

Thanks Cheryl, Corsi, Tabby and Jen
So much good advice, what would I do without you all?
I wondered if I had new hemmies? :( I did have this problem one year ago and it started the whole thing with hemmie surgery. :( :( I would never do that again!! I do have some discomfort but not like the fissure pain and spasms after surgery.
I had 3 internal hemmies removed and have tried all year with miralax to keep constipation away, there is such a fine line between constipation and diahhrea!! Can internal hemmies come back so soon? I can't believe it!! Image
Thanks Tabby, I started using my fissure ointment but it is probably old and I need to get some new stuff. I also have some suppositories with steroids that I will start using a few times, don't think I have many left.
I have been using benefiber but probably not enough. I probably need to get some metamucil going again.
Jen, I suppose stress does affect our whole bodies! I am resisting going to the Dr. but will try to get in to Mayo when we go out there in January. There is no one I trust around here. Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby happyass » 09 Dec 2008, 10:56

jo,
maybe your fissure or hemmies are just saying merry christmas! Image
i wouldn't worry too much about the bleeding as we all have experienced the occassional if not at least the oddest, random time for a bleeding surprise.
now, on to help you find some comfort for your irritated bum. the good thing here though is that you can at least connect partially that you did have to strain some and thus this occured. the only variables now to think about, if it is even worth even spending time to think about, is how much of a strain, and where is the source of strain in relation to where your previous damage/openings were?
life doesn't always have to be like this but sometimes when we think everything is okay and we do something that normally we wouldn't do if we had the active fissure or what not - like you felt comfortable in proceeding to strain a little - surprise! you are reminded how that is not a good choice.
i think you will be okay as long as you go back a few steps and nurse your irritated bum.
i have a question on what you wrote jo - taking the benefiber and then possibly adding some metamucil. are you planning on using these together or singling one over the other? just wondering as it sounds like you were going to overlap the two and i am not sure if that is necessary or if even helpful to take them during the same day.
hang in there :12:
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74