AF friendly recipes

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

AF friendly recipes

Postby buttgirl » 18 Jun 2007, 12:17

The idea for this topic started under another, but I thought it deserved it's own heading since so many of us have had to utterly reconstruct our diets.
SO I was thinking that is would be nice if we could all share the recipes that have saved our a$$es and list some of our favorite recipes for AF friendly food. I figured I could start the thread with my favorite life-saving (or at least butt-saving) recipe.
SO de ne ne ne ne ne ne ne, buttgirl to the rescue :cheer: ..... with Pea Soup!?
I don't like blended pea soups, so I boil my peas until they are soft but haven't fallen apart. That way, it looks like I have a lot of peas in my soup rather than a mass of green ooze.
1 bag split peas
1 ham hock
3-4 bacon ends (depends on size. mine are 2 in cubes)
2 carrots
1 turnip
1 stalk celery
1 onion
1 other root vegetable (i.e. celery root...)
1-2 cups ham cubed
salt and pepper
Soak peas overnight. Add 1 T salt and boil until soft but not mushy. Strain.
In 2 quarts water, simmer ham hock for 2-4 hours. Cut all vegetables into roughly the same size pieces. Add root vegetables. Simmer 1 hour. Add celery, peas, and ham cubes. If you like herbs such as sage, rosemary, oregano, add them now too. Simmer until celery tender about 10 min. Peas should retain shape but be a little mushy. Salt and pepper to taste.
I have this for three meals a day when I am on the pea soup diet, with snacks such as celery with almond butter, hummus, beans, fresh fruit... I'm not sure why the peas soup works. Could be all the soft food. Could be the savory and hydrating broth. Could be all the fiber in the peas and veggies.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67