post surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: post surgery

Postby Guest » 14 Jun 2007, 15:54

I am really sorry to hear about your pain..I really think drs underestimate how bad it hurts. When I went to my pre-op appt my dr, was kind of insinuating that I had gone to the UC for no reason. My fissure pain was so unbearable I couldnt stand it or sleep. This whole fissure thing has made me very cynical regarding drs. I don't know..But I sure hope you feel better soon. I didn't have my skin tag removed and I am not sure why but that could be some of the pain you feel.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 14 Jun 2007, 16:04

I got the sharp pains you describe after sitting or moving around, just once or twice. That sounds like the surgery, not the fissure. Please just try to stay off your rear as much as you possibly can. Do not squat or do any rough exercise or lifting....for several weeks...
Deleted User 5

Postby juney » 15 Jun 2007, 11:19

yah i'm being as careful as possible. i haven't done any exercise since the surgery. i've been too paranoid about hurting myself to even go on the daily walks i used to take. Unfortunately i work in an office so i HAVE to sit down all day. I have a padded chair which is pretty comfy, but still it's tough having to sit on it all day when what i want to do is lay in bed and heal. i took 2 weeks off after the surgery and thought that would be enough time. my dr suggested ibuprofen yesterday, so i'm going to start taking 2 every 4-6 hours as long as i need to. Eventually i'm hoping it will heal and i can wean myself off the pain meds.
Also i got some flaxseed oil which i took last night and this morning. my dr said that can't hurt.
thanks for everyone's support and advice!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 15 Jun 2007, 23:51

I am so sorry to hear that you are still in so much pain.
Can you possibly get up and walk around after a little while since you are sitting down all day?
I personally have mastered the one butt check method. Perhaps you can try that.
I hope you feel better very soon.

Postby buttgirl » 18 Jun 2007, 15:48

I had a different type of surgery (for a fissure turned abscess--cut from fissure to outside, which means about one inch long and down to the muscle, inorder for the abscess to drain and heal) and was really discouraged when I didn't heal in the 7 weeks my dr. allotted. I then read about similar incisions inthe area, the estimated healing time for which was 15 weeks. I'm at 18 weeks now ans still need the sitz bath twice a day (at least). I'm not trying to offer a time frame or anything. I just want to reinforce the point that healing time, just as fiber intake and trigger foods, all seem to be individual matters.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby juney » 18 Jun 2007, 16:36

yah i'm definitely realizing that the healing process is completely individual. No matter what doctors may tell you, unless they've actually HAD the procedure done, they really can't give you an exact idea of what you may be dealing with in the recovery period. My surgeon certainly didn't prepare me for this lengthy recovery. He said i "might be a little sore". What an understatement!!
I'm taking such good care of myself, but it's still been extremely slow going. 5 weeks later and i'm still not nearly "normal" or painfree.
In the past couple days though, I actually have noticed a difference for the better. It's given me a little hope that things will eventually be normal for me.
I won't be stopping my high-fiber lifestyle though, that's for sure!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 5 » 18 Jun 2007, 16:52

No, now is not the time to be letting up, you're still in the home stretch even though you should have already crossed the line...!!
I think your CRS's statement that you might be a little sore, was not to bad and probably well within the realm of his experience. Compared to the pain of the fissure, my tail was only "sore" post-op!
Deleted User 5