Our Surgery Stats

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Our Surgery Stats

Postby val » 08 May 2008, 01:39

what do you mean about the first 6 months will tell how you progress? Does that mean if you get a relapse in the first 6 months its bad news??
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 5 » 12 May 2008, 15:09

No, it's not necessarily bad news at all, Val, but it could be. I think what Gareth meant was if you don't have any problems or any major problems during the first six months, then your fissure will have healed well enough to "hold" you for, most likely, a long time to come. Maybe even forever.
Just keep in mind, if you do have a retear or something after the LIS, you are now set up to heal much more quickly and without the spasms (but probably with the fissure site pain).
Of course no two people are the same and some people even on this board didn't have success with LIS and of course they knew it within even three months....
The primary healing occurs in a month or two, but that baby is not gonna really toughen up for perhaps a year or longer. I think part of the problem is the edges of the fissure become like scar tissue during the chronic stage and when LIS is done the fissure does not really heal like a normal cut would, it is still somewhat vulnerable.
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 12 May 2008, 17:15

It is VERY vulnerable LOL - let me tell you !!! Since I was told at 9 weeks post LIS that mine is fully closed I thought that I am out of the bushes just to be proven wrong. I just came from my CRS app. and I will give full report in a new thread.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby pinky » 06 Mar 2009, 17:54

I voted pain for a month.i had pain for almost 3 weeks and took me almost a month to get back to normal.the infection and the diarrhea from the antibiotics delayed my healing.its been 5months since LIS and im not sure if my fissure has healed completely.i dont have spasms anymore.im getting back to normal.i can only hope it will never come back again.
Thank you all
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby suzyljank » 09 Apr 2009, 06:17

Hi, I'm new here. I had LIS and was uncomfortable for over a month but it was off and on. My fissure healed in 8 weeks. I still have some discomfort but not all the time. I use benefiber and miralax daily to keep things moving smoothly. If I get diarrhea it makes the area really sore. Sitz baths help and so does lubricating with aquaphor before a bm. Do you ever get over the fear of going to the bathroom after the experience of a fissure? I still worry when it's time to go. I don't want to go through that pain again. It's really nice to find a group of people who understand what this is like. Suzy :bunbsd:
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Guest » 09 Apr 2009, 07:01

Hi Suzy,
Welcome to our board! I think that is super awesome you took charge of the fissure and got the surgery and that overall things are much better. It sounds like you have a system that works for you so stick with it since scar tissue is weaker than regular tissue and needs months and months to heal completely and to get its strength back. But with LIS you are going to be less prone to further injury.
We are know very well this fear you speak of. It is such a dread and it feels like heading to the dungeon every morning not knowng what is in store. I do believe that will lessen in time once you have more good days under your belt though. I think a lot of us have varying degrees of post traumatic stress disorder after dealing with butt problems. Take care and thank you for sharing your story with us! :dyeeggs:

Postby Guest » 09 Apr 2009, 08:48

Welcome Susie ! Image
Its great to have your experience on board !
How long ago was your LIS ??
I had LIS and tag removal 10 weeks ago , I feel a great improvement but the same I have discomfort here and there , I also get a little uptight at toilet times too but with time I am sure this will get better ...
How long did you suffer before LIS ?
I have put my vote in too boardies - I suffered for a week or so with pain, and took up to a month to feel back to normal.
:love!:

Postby suzyljank » 09 Apr 2009, 11:02

I had my fissure for about a year before I had surgery. I had one before but it healed, this one wouldn't. I also had hemorrhoid removal a long time ago so the scar tissue caused the tightness in the bum. My surgery was last October and I still get some discomfort now and then. I have to be careful to get things moving smoothly and that's a bit tricky. Not enough miralax and I have to strain too much and just a little too much and I get diarrhea. That's not great either. At times it's like walking a tight rope but it's better than the pain of the fissure. The surgeon still hasn't released me though. He said there is still a little piece of skin right on the inside that causes some discomfort and he's not quite sure what it is yet, it could be scar tissue. I go back in June to get checked again and I hate those digital exams. My husband's been so good about , he just got me a travel bidet and it's the greatest thing. It's small enough to fit in my purse and it makes having to use the restroom when I'm out so much better for me. It's nice to chat with others who know how you feel, thanks for your replies. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby cherylk » 09 Apr 2009, 12:57

Welcome, Suzy. Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Apr 2009, 13:26

That travel bidet sounds like just the thing, I bet a lot of our boardies could use one of those!
It's a shame you have to stay on the miralax so long after your surgery. I hope your CRS can determine what that tissue is and do something about it. Healing after LIS or other butt surgeries sure isn't always a cakewalk, but I hope you can get a handle on things soon and get back to "normal!"
Deleted User 5