Our Surgery Stats

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Our Surgery Stats

Postby Guest » 09 Apr 2009, 14:28

Hey Suzy !
Snap ! This is my second fissure too , different ball game with this fissure !
What I have learnt from this forum is that healing can take a long time and then some to gain strength back in that vulnerable area , it’s a long road Suzy but you are almost there ! It's good you are still in touch with your CRS and he didn’t write you off !
We have a few boardies here that have find miralax/movicol hard to regulate , I take it too but I never adjust the dose , I want to try benifibre too, How much do you take ?
I would love to hear all about your travel bidet !! Image

Postby Guest » 09 Apr 2009, 14:48

Yes, spill the beans on the bidet! I know how you feel when your whole life has to revolve around toilet time. I had a hemorrhoidectomy in Jan 07 and is a very long process of healing. I also had a fistula repair so although I haven't had LIS I know that repeated anal surgeries can make the area weaker but it will heal. I wouldn't worry about being on the miralax-it is imperative that you keep you stool in good form. But yes, it is not an easy formula to figure out. I take it every morning.

Postby suzyljank » 09 Apr 2009, 19:33

The travel bidet is sanicare travel bidet and it's sold online. My husband got it on sale for around $39 and it's wonderful. It's small enough to fit in a purse, you just fill it with tap water. It takes one AA battery and you press the button and it shoots a gentle spray of water and it cleans your bum. No wiping and wiping, which everyone knows can irritate the heck out of things. As for the miralax I will have to take that the rest of my life. I have pelvic floor issues and IBS that tends towards constipation. Straining was a big problem for me so it was either MOM or miralax and the doctor prefered I use the miralax. I tried MOM but I would wake up in the middle of the night and have to go and that wasn't any fun. Maybe someday things will ease up and I'll be able to cut back on the miralax but for now it's just what I have to do. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Guest » 10 Apr 2009, 06:17

That bidet sounds just perfect ! Image
You have the right attitude there Suzy !
I too have IBS/C so i do relate, Miralax is safe to use longterm, my GP told me i could stay on it for life too if needs be so i dont worry about that :D
How much benifibre do you take, Suzy ?

Postby cherylk » 10 Apr 2009, 17:13

Suzy,
I have pelvic floor issues also and IBS/C. I also take Miralax and Benefiber to help regulate my digestive system and Miralax. Do you live in the US????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Our Surgery Stats

Postby suzyljank » 10 Apr 2009, 19:25

Hi, Cherylk, yes I do live in the US do you? What do you do for your pelvic floor issues?
suzyljank

Postby cherylk » 10 Apr 2009, 20:21

Yes, I live in the Midwest! I am scheduled to take a class at Mayos in June--pelvic floor retraining. I was diagnosed with pelvic floor issues with the anal rectal manometry test last August. I like your idea of the bidet. Have you ever tried using cotton balls? That is what I have used for a long time.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Our Surgery Stats

Postby suzyljank » 10 Apr 2009, 21:32

No I've never used cotton balls. I used wet wipes and tucks but that's still rubbing a sensitive area so I prefer the bidet. I have the travel one and sanicare makes a mini shower one that attaches to your bathroom faucet so you can select the temp of the water and that's what I use. I also found this wonderful inflatable sitz bath that's much easier to sit on then that plastic contraption they give you at the hospital, I think it's called "soft sitz". I got that online too and I liked it so much I bought one for each bathroom. Let me know how your retraining goes, sounds like something I'd be interested in. Suzy :dyeeggs:
suzyljank

Postby Fissulyna » 10 Apr 2009, 23:42

You found great products Suzy Image !!! I am sure many of our members will find them very helpful ! I always wash myself under nice stream of water in my tub and can not imagine doing anything else without causing irritation. I will definitely check your tiny bidet : ) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby MattMecham » 08 Aug 2011, 12:32

I did not even see this poll until Dawn brought it to my attention today. I voted for the first option (couple of days of pain/felt great in a couple of weeks), even though another option would have suited my situation better (no pain after one day/back to feeling awesome in about a week).
I had LIS March 30, 2011, and have not had a single twinge of fissure pain since I woke up from the operation. Sure, it felt like I'd been kicked by a horse for about 1/2 a day (my ass and tailbone felt like a big bruise), but I couldn't feel the fissure at all.
I just had plain old LIS, no fissurectomy or hemorrhoids or anything like that.
Last edited by MattMecham on 08 Aug 2011, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3