From bad...to good....to bad...to almost healed...to HELP

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

From bad...to good....to bad...to almost healed...to HELP

Postby Guest » 16 Jul 2007, 09:00

OK, what am I doing wrong? I haven’t had a BM since Thursday morning – it’s now Monday morning!! I’m freaking out. This is what happened to me when I got the fissure. It’s like my body just shuts down.
Wednesday and Thursday of last week were the best two days I’d had since the AF……5 months ago. I was so happy last week…..easy poopies…….and minimal pain. I really thought I was over the hump. Things were going great. I had my life back.
So what happened??? I only eat veggies (mostly high fiber), small portions of salmon or grill chicken, raisins, cantaloupe, bananas, etc. I did have a few beers, however, I’ve been doing this all along without problems. I did just start taking mineral oil every night before bedtime. (I started last Tuesday) Do you think this could be the problem? It’s the only thing I’m doing different. Before the mineral oil I was taking stool softeners. HELP!!
Any and all suggestions welcomed. What should I do????????

Re: From bad...to good....to bad...to almost healed...to HELP

Postby Guest » 16 Jul 2007, 09:05

I would hit the water, drink as much as you can.

Postby buttgirl » 16 Jul 2007, 09:58

you might try giving yourself an enema. You can buy the fleet enemas at the drug store. MY CRS has me give myself two before each office visit. One 4 hrs. before and one 2 hrs before, so I igure occasional use can't be that bad. It has the added benefit of adding water to your stools, so if they are hard from sitting around a while, this might help you keep from reinjuring yourself. You may also consider drinking a lot of prune juice before enemaing.

Also, the mineral oil won't cause bms like MOM or sodium-based softeners/laxatives. It just keeps things soft, or at least that's my experience with these both--saline softeners/laxative make me go within hours, mineral oil helps keep things soft and I go like usual.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Jul 2007, 10:15

Is it possible the beers dehydrated you, and then with all that fiber in your gut, you got constipated.
The problem with fiber is it can be a two-edged sword...too much fiber with not enough water is a recipe for constipation.
I can't say that's what happened, but it's possible.
I would take a tiny, tiny dose of laxative to try and get things stirred again. The enema idea is not a bad one, either, in my book. Either way, it should soften your stools a bit before their passage...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 Jul 2007, 10:29

Thanks for the help. I did have a BM today after posting the message this morning. YEAH, but OUCH!!
I think Kim may be right. I may be getting to much fiber and not enough water. I try and drink one glass of water to every beer, however, I pee all the time. It's very hard to do this when your on a boat or at the beach! HA!
Thanks again, I don't know what I'd do without your support. This forum has helped me soooooo much!

Postby Guest » 16 Jul 2007, 10:30

I have had some problems since my surgery of not going and I started taking magnesium glycynate and that helped a lot! My sister in law is a naturopathic doctor and really recommends this form of magnesium over the others. Maybe that could help you too!

Postby buttgirl » 16 Jul 2007, 11:20

Rehydration-wise, I have found gatorade more helpful than water so far this summer, especially after a bit of alocohol.

P.S. glad to see you back Lecia.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby SunshineHope » 16 Jul 2007, 11:53

Aaw Lecia hope you're in high spirits as always. Assplosion, just wanted to mention that bananas can be majorly constipating too. You mentioned you had been eating some, so that was a big telltale sign for me. I'm not sure if it has that effect on everyone, but I've noticed it on lots of people! I haven't had a single banana in the past like... 5 months maybe? or more.. Can't handle it!
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 16 Jul 2007, 12:20

Lucia - how much magnesium glycynate do I take??
Also, thanks for the banana tip......

Postby Guest » 16 Jul 2007, 12:23

Glad to be back-I am stuck in the bed mostly but able to get up and down better at least.
I take 3 300 mg capsules. You probably don't need that much since I am coming up general anaestesia though. Maybe start with just two and see how it works for you.