Nifedipine: Where to apply?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Nifedipine: Where to apply?

Postby Guest » 19 Jul 2007, 08:48

I actually had my AF reopen after getting off of it. I wonder if the cream creates an artificial relaxation and the muscle rebounds after stopping use. One of my CRS' told me he'd never use any cream because they don't work and cause more problems then they solve.

Postby buttgirl » 19 Jul 2007, 09:37

Yep that's what the creams are supposed to do, give you a chemical spincterotomy. They didn't really do that for me though, so I opted for Botox, which actally has helped my muscles relax.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 19 Jul 2007, 11:26

BG,
I have to tell you that I'm jealous. Neither of the CRSs I see said they would do the botox. I would love to try it before LIS.
I have to ask though, are you positive you had the hemmi before the treatment? I know that is one of the risks of getting needles in that area.

Postby buttgirl » 19 Jul 2007, 11:55

Yep I am positive. I almost doubted, but then I remembered that I actually posted about a new trouble I was having in the area, my "blood but not from fissure" thread. So yes, i am positive I did not get the hemmie from the injection. I was slightly sore at the injection site for a few hours after the injection though, but again, after fissure pain I barely even notied that. It's like comparing being hit with a bat to being hit hard with a pillow--you do notice that you were hit with a pillow, but it's not really bothersome.
The reason that there was such a debate in my head is that I was trying to figure out what was going on down there, as all my usual fissure tricks weren't working. It wasn't until after the injection that I figured out that I must have a roid. They can bleed and the bleeding ones are often painful and sting like my little one does. I almost feel silly for mentioning because it causes so little pain, just mild discomfort and even that is reducing steadily, but I just got so freaked out when I saw blood on the TP.
I went to one surgeon and one CRS before I found a CRS that would be willing to do Botox. I think most drs. dont want to do it for a few reasons:
1. patients often think it will be a miracle cure and are disappointed when they still have fissure pain. But remember, all Botox does is stop the spasm and for some people it doesn't even do that. For other people, though, it makes the muscles so relaxed that the are mildly incontinent for a couple weeks. Either way, you still have to heal your fissure. (Of course, you still have to heal your fissure with an LIS, too.)
2. Botox is expensive. One little vial costs the office something like $400 or $500, and you don't even use the half the bottle for these injections.
3. Botox doesn't widen the anal canal like an LIS, so you still have to keep up with your AF diet. Plus, it wears off in 2-6 mos and many people get retears at that time. (a second set of injections usually cures it though.) I personally like the fact that it is not permanent. I also read a study that said that the combination of botox and nitro cured something like 70%+ percent of AF cases in four weeks in the study. The rest were cured by a second round of Botox/nitro.
Knowing all this, I decided to get it because:
1) I knew that my lack of healing and reinjury problems and pain were mostly due to my tight and spasmy internal sphincter. I was absolutely sure of this because during my period, I would get super crampy/spasmy and always reinjury myself then. I was also sure because I got brief relief from nitro, which also causes chemical sphincterotomy, but the effects were short lived 20 min-1 hour for me. so I knew I needed a longer lasting chemical sphincetotomy to help me with this.
2) I had gotten injections and sutures during my Feb abscess surgery and had had no problems with roids, new fissures, etc. so I was willing to chance it. Especially since my other options were to live with the pain or get an LIS. Since the LIS is irreversible and something I could get later if Botox didn't work, I decided what the hey. Worse case scenario, it doesn't work.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 09 Aug 2007, 22:14

My CRS told me to apply a pea-sized amount of Nifedipine externally. She said it will be absorbed through the skin and relax the sphincter. I tried applying it internally and thought it did work very well that way, but I developed a bad headache. But, don't let my experience deter you as I react excessively to things that wouldn't bother most people.

Postby Jimbfree47 » 12 Apr 2017, 02:31

I have both the nitro and nifidepine. I put a pea size dot on the tip of my finger and rub it on the outside. My understanding is that the ointment gets absorbed into tge anal canal and lubes it to relax the muscles. Seems to work pretty good about every 6 to 8 hours. Sitz baths 3 a day then I apply the ointment. 5.5 months post lis still dealing with pain. Everyone is different. What works for one may not for another. I have had to experiment to find the best possible relief. We have no control over the internal sphincter as pasing gas can send it into spasm. My experience with this horrible debilitating condition
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2