Post LIS - Day 6

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post LIS - Day 6

Postby busymom » 10 Nov 2009, 10:43

I just thought I'd give an update on how things are going on Day 6. In one word - awesome. I have not felt this good in years, truly it's been years. First off, can I just say that the right doctor makes ALL the difference in the world! My new dr. is the 3rd one I've talked to about this problem and he is so great. Confident, reassuring, and frankly, most importantly, he knew what he was doing!
To summarize - pain level is zero, itching is sometimes a MINOR annoyance but very minor (I assume that means healing is occurring), incontinence - none at all - gas or otherwise, BMs - pleasant and pain-free, bleeding - rare - an occasional small amount following BM but not even close to the large amounts of blood that I am used to seeing in the toilet, food intake - still being careful but I did have 2 kitkat bars with no side effects.
I'm taking docusate sodium 100mg 2x daily, Philips magnesium supplement pill each night, and keeping up with a normal amount of fiber intake - nothing too drastic. I have benefiber powder with water, Wheat Thin Fiber Select crackers as a snack - if you haven't tried them, they are delicious! - and extra vegetables at every meal. I'm also having one or two Activia yogurts during the day. Also lots of water, resting, and 2 or 3 baths during the day.
So far, things are looking good! I was even able to go to a college football game on Sat. night and sit through the whole thing, no pain! I feel like starting back on my running/weight workouts, but I am just going to be patient and wait until my dr. appt. in a few weeks to get the a-ok. I'd rather be safe than sorry! It's just that I feel so GOOD and I'm so used to feeling horrible (you guys know) so it's hard to wait when you don't know if it will disappear and the good days will be gone again! Trying to be optimistic and hopeful that it will continue and not be pessimistic and thinking that the pain will return!
Anyway, that's the info! I will answer any questions and would love any other advice anyone can give to keep me on the healing path! Image
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: Post LIS - Day 6

Postby cherylk » 10 Nov 2009, 12:44

Anna,
I wouldn't rush your exercise plan, but good to hear that you are doing so well! Image
What is the yogurt supposed to do for a person (other than a good calcium source)? I might try to find those crackers at the store!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 Nov 2009, 13:26

That's awesome Anna that you're doing so well only a few days afterward :) I love Wheat Thin Fiber Selects too. For some reason I can't even find the Vegetable flavor in my area, though, all the stores around here carry are the 5-grain flavor.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby sidra1968 » 18 Nov 2009, 12:06

Glad you had such success!! A new lease on life it surely is.
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby cherylk » 18 Nov 2009, 13:57

I have benefiber powder with water, Wheat Thin Fiber Select crackers as a snack
I could not find these in the store today! What is the brand name--Fiber Select?????
cherylk
VIP

Postby busymom » 19 Nov 2009, 13:33

Hi Cheryl - the brand name is Wheat Thins, in the cracker aisle, and the type of Wheat Thin is Fiber Select. They have both a vegetable flavor and 5 grain. I love the 5 grain, but I'm thinking of trying the vegetable flavor!
It's been just over two weeks and things are still good here! I'm having no pain before, during or after BMs, no bleeding, and no incontinence. I've had some minor itching, but nothing even annoying. It goes away with a quick bath. We'll have to see what happens over the next few weeks, but so far so good! I'm off of all pain meds too. I'm cautiously optimistic because when my cycle starts soon, the pain may return. (fingers crossed!)
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby cherylk » 19 Nov 2009, 14:31

I have bought Wheat Thins made by Nabisco, but never that flavor. I'll look for it! Thanks!!
Glad that you are feeling so good!! Image
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 Dec 2009, 18:02

Hey busymom, long time no see, how's it going? Now that you've had a few weeks, is LIS all it's cracked up to be? :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 17 Dec 2009, 19:16

I bought the Fiber Select crackers--they are very tasty!!
cherylk
VIP