Newbie Looking for Help Please! ***Update***

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Newbie Looking for Help Please! ***Update***

Postby RockBottom » 04 Feb 2010, 16:47

Hi All,
I wanted to post an update on things with me. I must admit I've been something of a lurker here for a while, reading everyone's posts but not contributing much myself.
When I originally posted on here I was in sheer hell. Truly. I was in so much pain I couldn't even walk down the stairs without crying things hurt so much. Looking back I don't know how I coped, I was really in the most pain I've ever experienced in my life.
I went back to see my CRS in December and he insisted I use the nitro for 8 weeks, rather than the 8 days my GP had told me.
Am I cured? No. Am I better than I was? Yes, significantly.
I've read everyone's stories and I know this AF will probably be with me in some way forever unless I opt for surgery. I have learnt so much from everyone's experience on this site not to get complacent about managing it on a day to day basis.
I talked to the CRS about surgery but (in all this madness!) my husband and I are trying for a baby. The CRS has told me AF is really common in pregnancy and told me to focus on baby making as much as I can - I could have surgery but the AF may return in pregnancy. I'm 37, so time is not exactly on my side.
But the fissure has healed from where it was in November, it's not completely gone but most days are manageable and it seems a long time since the weeks I cried in agony after each BM.
I changed my diet, now eat very little red meat, eat tons of fruit and generally make sure I go to the loo every day with loose stools. But probably the biggest thing is that I've removed gluten from my diet which, it turns out, was the culprit for the AF in the first place.
I will continue to lurk on here on get inspiration from all your experiences. I wish anyone reading this lots of luck in feeling better, for the longterm.
RockBottom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby derryboy » 06 Feb 2010, 10:26

yup diet lifestyle seems to be a major key player in helping fissure heal... along with some meds.....imo
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby Fissulyna » 07 Feb 2010, 23:32

If you think that gluten was a culprit - that you definitely need to do a blood test to see is you are gluten intolerant and perhaps have some Celiac going on !!!! Celiac definitely can cause inflammatory reactions in any part of gastro tract and can be underlying cause of your fissure !
I wish you the best of luck with pregnancy !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby RockBottom » 09 Feb 2010, 15:49

Hi Fissulyna,
That's really interesting coeliac disease can cause inflammatory reactions. I will do some more research on this.
Unfortunately I need to be eating gluten for 6 weeks to take the tests for coeliac disease or else the blood test can provide a false negative. I do, however, suspect that I am coeliac and I really wish that I had gone for the blood tests before stopping eating gluten completely. Since I stopped eating gluten lots of the (I thought) very random symptons have disappeared and on further investigation these were connected with coeliac disease such as mental fog, odd skin blisters on my arms, constant headaches, knee and other joint pain. Problem is, gluten makes me so sick I can't bear to eat it for the necessary 6 weeks. But I think the main thing is not to eat it any more, for AF recovery as well as general health improvement.
RockBottom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Fissulyna » 10 Feb 2010, 00:18

I think it is great plan - absolutely do not go back on gluten just to prove you have Celiac !!!! Stay away from that stuff and hopefully your fissure will now heal faster and forever : )) !!!
Best of luck and never give up hope : ))) !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61