Narrowing of Anal Canal

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Narrowing of Anal Canal

Postby Marsh37 » 20 Mar 2010, 07:51

GoodMorning
I went to see a CRS yesterday and he said my anal canal is very narrow. Does anyone know what this means?
He prescribed me lidocane/ditazilem. He wants me to come back in 10 days to see if the cream has helped any.
Thank you Image
Marsh37
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Narrowing of Anal Canal

Postby StevePain » 20 Mar 2010, 13:40

Hi Marsh, narrowing of the anal canal could be anal stenosis:
http://www.ruddclinic.com/patientinfo17.html
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Marsh37 » 20 Mar 2010, 14:00

Thank you, for the quick response. He did see the fissure and since I have had it for so long my canal has started to narrow. So im thinking it may become more difficult for me to pass stool. Now thats a little scary
Marsh37
Salt Bather

Postby StevePain » 20 Mar 2010, 14:29

Hey Marsh, I've had a fissure for 2 years now and my anal canal is definitely feeling narrow I can tell with my finger when I apply ointment, it is scary, just keep up with the Diltiazem (I'm using that also) and keep the stools soft, don't want to try and pass a big stool!!
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 20 Mar 2010, 15:56

Steve (med student to be),
Good link. Have never b/4 heard of that condition!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 21 Mar 2010, 13:35

hehe cheryl, I aint that clever, I just use the internet for research and what a great tool it is!!
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby suzyljank » 21 Mar 2010, 16:28

Hi, I have that too. I had hemorrhoid surgery years ago and was never told that scar tissue from that surgery could cause so many problems. I got a fissure and it took a while to heal, the second one didn't heal and I had LIS surgery. It helped but not enough. My anal canal is very narrow and the surgeon recommended a sliding flap anoplasty to widen the opening. The surgery is 80% effective and the recovery is kind of long and painful so for now I'm not doing it. I have to be sure to eat lots of fiber, drink plenty of liquid and I take miralax and benefiber daily. If I get a tear, I do sitz baths, use a hand held shower bidet (no toilet paper) and nitro or nifedipine. It can be very frustrating at times but it's part of my life now so I'm learning to deal with it. I sure hope your fissure heals quickly. Remember to keep you bms easy to pass. Experiment and find what works for you and good luck. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Marsh37 » 22 Mar 2010, 04:32

Suzy
Thank you, for your encouragement. I have been trying to increase my fiber and water intake. Im just tired of the whole ordeal. I go back to the doctor in 10 days so he can check me again. I will let you know what happens.
Marsh37
Salt Bather

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Mar 2010, 01:23

Hey March,
I had pretty bad hemorrhoids (both internal and external) before I got my fissure. I was told that they would absolutely have to be rubber banded, and most likely I would need hemorrhoid surgery. Well, after I got my fissure, I changed my diet radically (make that VERY radically) to be very high fiber and took Miralax every day. It didn't heal my fissure, unfortunately, but the irony is that my hemorrhoids got "caught in the crossfire" and are now no longer an issue. I've had countless rectal exams and there isn't a trace of my previously bulging hemorrhoids. If you haven't done so already, trying Miralax may not be a bad idea. I don't know if it will help the underlying problem in your case but maybe it will at least make the poops easier to pass.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 24 Mar 2010, 21:22

So sorry March to hear that you are in so much pain : (.
Maybe your stenosis is underlying cause for your fissure but it also can be other way around- that you formed a lot of scar tissue and it narrowed your anal passage : ((.
In any case, although it is easier on the anus to have "tiny poop", on the long run it is not good. Anus has to "work" and also be "stretched" since mushy stools for the long period of time can actually cause muscle wasting and stenosis.
You should strive to have regular bowel movements (at least once every day) and poop should be formed but soft (like a dough).
Wishing you the best of luck at your next appointment ! Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61