Big and Bulky

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Big and Bulky

Postby small_flower » 23 Mar 2010, 06:55

Lately my BM's have been big and bulky, which is not helping. There has been some blood on the tissue lately, and so I'm really trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Too much fiber? Not enough fiber? Not enough water? I'm not sure.
I have been taking my magnesium at night like clockwork but the amount of fiber varies. I try to shoot for 20-25 grams in a day but it doesnt always happen. :(
What do you guys think?
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Big and Bulky

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Mar 2010, 01:03

Hey Kate,
Without knowing what you're eating, it's hard to say. But my guess would be not enough water and possibly not enough fiber.
The source of the fiber matters too IMO. For example I easily hit at least 25 grams of fiber a day. In fact there are often days when I'm already around 25 grams by lunchtime. But if I don't drink enough water, or if I got all of the fiber from eating hard things like crackers, then I can still get difficult BMs. For me boiled veggies seem to work out the best. I eat nearly the same exact thing every single day for every single meal and have a pretty good handle on how my diet affects my poops at this point. One embarrassing truth is that if I get a lot of gas in the afternoon, then I know I've had a ton of fiber already and it's going to be smooth sailing as far as BMs go in the near future :)
Personally every morning I start off with a fiber bar, the kind from Fiber One or Eating Right that has 35% fiber for the day. Then for lunch I eat either veggie soup or brown rice sushi (since brown rice is super high fiber). For dinner I eat veggie soup and a big plate of soy beans. I've added it all up before and it comes out to well over 25 grams of fiber daily. Then I take Miralax and drink a ton of water. And rinse, lather, and repeat day after day :) Actually by the end of most days, I've had so much fiber that if desired, I can allow myself to munch on a few potato chips and chocolate bars to help keep my weight up. When eating like this (which obviously sucks day after day but anything to keep the fissure symptoms down!) the only times I've have hard poops are when I don't drink much water through the day.
The unfortunate thing is that even after doing this for months and months, all it takes is one small slip-up to undo all of the stinkin' progress :(
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 24 Mar 2010, 15:58

Gotta agree with you there NG, i've been doing this diet thing for what seems like a life time now, but just one slip up, no matter how small and it's back to square one, a mistake I made a short while ago set me back months, it can be very disheartening and depressing
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Fissulyna » 24 Mar 2010, 21:58

Kate - just one word - Metamucil (or Benefiber - whatever you prefer) LOL or any other fiber supplement. If you are not living off veggies and fruits - you might sooner suspect too little fibber than "too much".
Sometimes hormones can play up a role with poop formation in girls - so it could have effected your normal routine.
Take more fluids - it can only help.
Take some extra stool-softeners for a week or two , just to give your butt a break for a while.
Best of luck !!!! : ))
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61