dexamethasone anyone?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

dexamethasone anyone?

Postby BR1979 » 04 Jun 2010, 11:44

Once prescribed from 2 doctors before. Seems to heal and relax more then Diltiazen to me. Does its use has side effects besides "thining" the skin?
Any good on it?
BR1979
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: dexamethasone anyone?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 04 Jun 2010, 12:21

I don't see how dexamethasone would help to be honest. It's just a steroid. Like all corticosteroids, it will reduce inflammation quickly, and thin tissue with prolonged use. But its mode of action is entirely different from Diltiazem, Nifedipine, and nitroglycerin, which are all vasodilators.
Dexamethasone is more like hydrocortisone than anything else. My kid's taken it for croup before. There are a bunch of other similar corticosteroids, betamethasone, etc., but the main one that's used for rectal problems is hydrocortisone and none of them are supposed to be as effective as fissures as Diltiazem, Nifedipine, and nitroglycerin. Personally I found nitroglycerin to be the most effective of the bunch for me.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Jun 2010, 12:41

Well, if underlying cause for developing fissures in some individuals is local inflammatory process (like in localized Crohns , procttits or even some allergy processes such as in Celiac disease), steroid based meds can have positive effect !!!
However, I would than do further investigation of my possible underlying causes and use non-cortisone based products . I think that Canasa is one of them, for example. I also found out that outside of the USA there are creams based on Ibuprofen also and help patients with localized inflammation.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby BR1979 » 04 Jun 2010, 14:44

Well, if underlying cause for developing fissures in some individuals is local inflammatory process (like in localized Crohns , procttits or even some allergy processes such as in Celiac disease)

Thanks, Fissulyna.
Thatґs good info. Actualy, topic cream dexamethasone was the cure of the first monster 7 years ago. Antialergics and anti-inflamatory brings great relief aswell. Perhaps my "sex theory" is wrong and Im experiencing some allergy thing?
Anybody having relief with gluten-free diet?
BR1979
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Jun 2010, 19:51

You know - I wondered about my sensitivity to gluten also :roll: I even asked for a test which came back negative BUT - this last irritation I got came also at a time I was eating ONLY a bread for a day . My poop got loose - NO diarrhea, just "pasty" and it stung !!! I needed a couple of days to stop that semi-mushy stuff to stop :roll: and it happened when I excluded oats and breads Image . I also am super-sensitive to Benefiber which is derived from a wheat - so there MUST be something going on !!!!!!
Crazy ...insane stuff and things like that Image - we just have to "keep on swimming... keep on swimming.. " LOL and find what works for each of us individually Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61