when/why/how big/worst ever pain/best remedy?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: when/why/how big/worst ever pain/best remedy?

Postby cherylk » 09 Jun 2010, 18:36

I'd be willing to go visit your aunt also!! Take a pill of some sort, drink liquor, or sleep while on the way to Hawaii. I am wanting to go back there sooooo badly.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Jun 2010, 18:51

Ha ha, Cheryl - I love them so much that if I was on my death-bed, and somebody asked me what was my last wish - it would be to take me to HI so I can at least die there Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby fire-cracker » 09 Jun 2010, 18:58

You ladies can both go in my place...just make sure you bring back my b-day gift from her.....Oh and tell her I said HI!! Seriously...I am toooooooooo scared to fly. I have never flown before.
She used to come back every year at X-mas up until a few years ago. Her husband has alot of medical problems so she doesn't want to leave him. My other Aunt goes to visit her now at X-mas. She wanted me to go with her a few years ago...again I chickened out Image Maybe one of these days I will go.
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby cherylk » 09 Jun 2010, 19:54

Fire,
There is risk in anything, but I was afraid of the long flight to Australia that we had reserved a few years ago, so I can't really comment too much. I will say that people fly to Hawaii all of the time, and statistically, flying is MUCH safer than riding or driving a car!!! I think it may be the loss of control that gives some people fear and trepidation about flying. :roll: I'm sure most people are just like me and are happy to safely land on the ground after being in the air. I've become more comfortable with flying after each trip I've taken. Gosh, I wish I had a relative that lives over there, but, in fact, I think I might have a second cousin who used to live over there and possibly still does. Will my relative please stand up and identify herself PLEASE??????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Jun 2010, 21:46

I loved flying until I had one HORRIBLE flight with strong turbulence that made flight attendants run for their seats and lights flicker Image - I thought that "that was it" Image - my last flight !!!!
Since than I am very apprehensive when even small turbulence starts, but otherwise I am OK.
I mentioned my GP that I do not like flying and she prescribed me couple of pills of Ativan at that time (I think that was the name), just in case. I never took them LOL, but surely felt more relaxed having them with me if I ended up needing them Image
Maybe you can take some before the flight, Fire :) !!!! You would have such a great time at HI, you would never again even think twice about flying there Image !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 09 Jun 2010, 22:25

For me it would be:
1. when did your fissure develop?
A little over one year ago.
2. why did it develop?
Hardcore diarrhea followed by constipation thanks to antibiotics.
3. how big is/was your fissure?
Not sure. I've been told different things by different doctors. Best I can surmise is "average size," whatever that is.
4. how bad was your worst pain?
I'd say typically around an 8 in the acute fissure phase. I had one poop that really stands out in my mind that I'd easily consider a 9. It was when I first developed my fissure, didn't know a thing about how to manage it, starved myself of all food for 2 days straight, and then ended my fast by eating a huge bag of smoked salmon. Bad idea.
In the chronic phase, I'd rate the pain at around a 3-4 only.
5. what was the best treatment for you?
So far it has been Miralax and Botox. Jury's still out on LIS.
BTW I'm with FireCracker on flying. I used to travel for work and also leisure frequently. For a couple of years I averaged 60,000 - 70,000 frequent flier miles a year. But even after all that flying, the paralyzing anxiety of it has never really worn off. Every time I step on a flight, the fear takes over and doesn't let go until I land. It doesn't stop me from going places, but it does make every second in the plane disturbing. Then the entire time I'm at my destination, I think about how I'll have to take a return flight home in a few days or weeks. I've had 2 nasty car accidents plus 1 motorcycle accident but flying is still scary as hell by comparison!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby juney » 10 Jun 2010, 13:26

1. when did your fissure develop?
July 2006
2. why did it develop?
i was drinking too much alcohol (i was only 23 and partying all the time!). i thought it was normal to have 1-2 BM a week. one day i was so constipated i gripped the sides of the toilet and pushed til i literally ripped myself open. worst day of my life for sure.
3. how big is/was your fissure?
no dr has ever measured it. part was visibily externally for awhile but now it's all internal.
4. how bad was your worst pain?
awful, glass-passing pain during BM; soreness and sharp pain for hours afterward (in the first 6-9 months pain was 24 hours)
5. what was the best treatment for you?
i've had 2 LIS, a fissurectomy, 1 round of botox, used diltiazem for 10 months now, tried every cream and internet remedy i've seen and none has cured me for good. i take benefiber/miralax/magnesium/vitamin C everyday and use diltiazem and vitamin E oitnment twice a day. there has been so "best" treatment but i'm learning to manage it and create a new "normal" for myself. that's all we can do!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36