8 year old with 3 anal fissures

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

8 year old with 3 anal fissures

Postby selinas mum » 15 Jun 2010, 16:13

Hi can anyone help, my daughter has had 3 anal fissures for 6 months now. She has been prescribed rectogesic i understand from the leaflet it has alot of side effects. Does anyone know if this is worse in children as it says not to be used on under 18's
thanks
selinas mum
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: 8 year old with 3 anal fissures

Postby suzyljank » 18 Jun 2010, 21:15

Hi, so sorry to hear that your daughter has so many fissures. I've used rectagel but not rectogesic but it sounds similar to nitroglycerin. It helps to relax the sphincter muscle to promote healing but you're right, it can cause headaches. I know the nitro did for me. I still used it though, I just cut it in half by mixing half with an equal amount of vaseline. It worked just as well but no headaches. Is your daughter using anything to help keep her stools soft and easy to move. Also soaking in a bath a few times a day can help too. I feel so sad for her, it must hurt something awful. I would recommend miralax for keeping the stools soft. I knew a woman who used to put it in jello. She'd make individual cups of jello and put a dose in each one and her little one didn't even know she was taking it. She just thought it was a snack. I hope she improves quickly. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby cherylk » 19 Jun 2010, 06:46

I used to put my Miralax (Movicol) in grape juice. And I drank the grape juice that had added fiber in it (Welch's).
You can actually put Miralax in any liquid; orange or apple juice would be options also. The juice helps mask the taste of it (Movicol).
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 22 Jun 2010, 17:40

It is all individual as with any medication, including OTC meds. If she does not experiance any side-effects, than I do not see why she would not be able to use it. The cream was not tested in that age group since such a small number of kids her age have chronic fissures, so that is why it is "not recommended" .They do not have studies or data.
There are other creams that can be used if she experiences headaches (which are just a sign that her blood pressure went somewhat down, nothing serious, although unpleasant)
Did you ever consult a doctor about the fact that she has multiple fissures ??? It is very uncommon ...
Last edited by Fissulyna on 22 Jun 2010, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Fissulyna » 22 Jun 2010, 17:41

double post ...
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61