help

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

help

Postby loctos » 07 Jul 2010, 05:34

I have a anal fissure ( without blood) since 4 months, I heal a bit now but i have pain (not like the first periode) When passing stool, that is normal after such a long period? , the Surgey is necessary in this situation? Image
loctos

Topics: 1

Re: help

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Jul 2010, 11:16

Yup you can still have pain after 4 months. A lot of us here -- I'd say most in fact -- have had fissure problems for much longer than even that, unfortunately. I think there are two possibilities: either your fissure is slowly healing, or the pain level has decreased as it's become chronic (which is not unusual).
What have you been doing to manage your fissure so far? Any creams, stool softeners, etc.?
The likelihood that surgery is needed does increase as time goes by, but I don't think it's necessarily a must-have just yet. It all depends on how much pain the fissure is causing (and therefore how long you can tolerate trying other treatments) and also what other remedies you've already tried.
If you haven't tried any of the creams (nitroglycerin, nifedine, diltiazem) yet and the pain is tolerable, then I'd give those a go first, along with a stool softener that works for you. But if you've already tried the creams then I'd have a CRS (colorectal surgeon) take a look to see if it's healing. If it is, then give it more time. If it's not, then consider more aggressive treatment like Botox or surgery.
By the way I used the creams for about 6 months, then tried Botox, and then finally had surgery 1 year after I got my fissure. Some others have gotten surgery immediately after getting their fissure. Some folks have had more than 1 surgery too. So everyone is different and it really depends on what's going on in your particular case.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby dee » 20 Jul 2010, 23:47

i waited 13 years before i got surgery...
using different treatments (creams, suppositories, pain killers, toughing it out ;o) didn't work for long at any point...
i would imagine that at four months that would be a bit premature...but that's just my opinion...diet changes (adding fiber, avoiding (or at least cutting down) meat) would be the first line of defense...then creams...stool softeners help a lot...
for me the one thing that kept me sane before surgery was valium (although that was only introduced to me within a month before my surgery, so i wouldn't suggest it for you yet...)
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby StevePain » 25 Jul 2010, 14:14

Dee, I have no idea how you toughed it out for 13 years, it's a wonder you didn't go insane long before the valium was introduced.
The only cream that's been effective for me is Diltiazem, unfortunately I have a bad itching reaction from it so cannot use it really, so surgery is the only available option now..
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45