Considering surgery, Doc visit later today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Considering surgery, Doc visit later today

Postby bottomline » 16 Sep 2010, 09:10

Hello everyone
I thought i was doing ok with my food, fiber, stool softener regimen. I even started working some meats into my food. I was getting ahead of myself. Last weekend, i had some passing glass pain again on 2 occasions. And upon examining myself in the mirror, for the last 2 days, I can see that my fissure has returned -- more visible than it ever was. There's not a lot of pain - just soreness at the site off and on. I am back to my regimen.
I am seeing my CRS today. I am at the stage where I have started giving in to the idea of getting the surgery. I may consider botox once but will see what the doctor has to say. I am really depressed today.
bottomline
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Considering surgery, Doc visit later today

Postby Guest » 16 Sep 2010, 11:22

I am so sorry. I know how depressing this is. I did the same thing a few weeks ago. When I was feeling better I ate some new foods and had the same thing happen. It is very depressing. This time it took a week to get past the shards of glass feeling , now it's just a sharp feeling in the back and I have noticed I bleed more often now. I just went to my crs yesterday and I'm waiting on the phone call back today to schedule the surgery.
Give yourself some time...It's very depressing...
It's taken me weeks to come to grips after the last one and I'm not excited about the surgery but I feel it's my best shot to get my life back...

Postby StevePain » 16 Sep 2010, 11:57

That's the thing with fissures, they make you believe that everything is ok for days or even weeks so you start to feel like you're cured, you then slip back into old eating habits only to get a rude awakening Image
This is the main reason why I chose to get the surgery done, it wasn't about the pain since my fissure was chronic and the pain is lesser than when it's acute, it was the uncertainty, never knowing when it was gonna rear it's ugly head and make life a misery once again.
Bottomline.... Best of luck with whatever you decide
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby bottomline » 16 Sep 2010, 14:42

Thanks for your responses. Really appreciate it.
My fissure is playing mind games with me. I just got back from the CRS. The CRS said that it is healing nicely and that he would not do botox let alone surgery. I tried to tell him about the sharp pain I get but he seems convinced that I do not need surgery. He wants me to add calmol 4 suppositories for the hemmy and continue the NTG, and see him in 2 months.
I was ok for a couple of hours walking around. Just came back and sat at my desk and within 5 mins. i am feeling the pressure in the area. I have hectic travel scheduled in November and am very worried.
I don't know if I should feel happy or sad but I am definitely frustrated with the fissure.
bottomline
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissulyna » 17 Sep 2010, 19:35

The thing with the "healing nicely" is that it has no real meaning in relation to "healing forever" Image .
Wishing you complete and forever healing though - there are patients who actually are able to stay healed after healing chronic fissure and you might as well be one of them Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby bottomline » 20 Sep 2010, 11:26

Fissy
Thanks for your response. I hear you and in the four months that I have suffered so far, I agree with you.
In fact, about 2 weeks after the diagnosis, I remember visiting a different GP, who said " I only see a small abrasion". And 2 weeks after that, massive pain and blood. :(
I like my current CRS though, and he has asked me to see him in another 2 months. I'll see what he says then.
From my standpoint, i also want to be over with the fiber supplements (i am doing 6 spoons a day), and the stool softeners. Guess for now, its wait and watch for 2 more months.
bottomline
Fibre Addict

Postby pinky » 21 Sep 2010, 04:29

Agree with Fissy.You can only do the right things and hope it goes away.Even abrasion can give a lot of pain like fissure.I wouldnt advice you to stop stool softneners unless your stools are very soft.you can always reduce it once you heal.
It can be very frustrating with the uncertainity but you have to hope for the best.
Do pray you heal soon
pinky
Fissureologist