CRS tomorrow advice please???

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

CRS tomorrow advice please???

Postby New mum » 03 Nov 2010, 20:05

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to a 2nd Crs, last doctor i didnt like and gave me false hope.
I went in with really no questions but now i need answers!
what do i need to ask him?
I have now had my fissure for 7 1/2 months since the birth of my daughter, have been on rectogesic for 8 weeks. I feel good no pain or blood but keep everything soft and diet very straight forward. I have sitz baths once a day. But i know if i walk around to much i am in pain and if i dont have my bath or if i eat the wrong thing i feel a bit burnie.
I am scared to have a Lis like everyone else, but i want more kids and i am not going into another pregnancy with this.
Last crs told me the lis is a 5min thing and i only need to take panadol after and i will really be in no pain. which is why i am seeing another doctor i think he is in fairy land.
and advice on what i need to talk to next doc about would be sooo helpful
THanks
new mum
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: CRS tomorrow advice please???

Postby Guest » 03 Nov 2010, 20:14

Hey there,
I had my fissure for 8 months and recently had lis, 2 weeks ago. It has really been a good experience for me and really wasn't no where near as bad as having the fissure. I was sore but, more like uncomfortable not in pain after the surgery and I also had a skin tag removed along with lis.
Don't be afraid of the procedure, it seems a lot worse than it is and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had too.

Postby Guest » 03 Nov 2010, 20:22

I'd like to add, New Mum, ask him anything that makes you comfortable...How many lis procedures they've done, how long is recovery, etc....
Also I only took a few vicodin after surgery and many others were able to take just tylenol or ibuprofen, so I wouldn't say that your last crs was giving you false hope because that is a real possibility, although everyone's experience is different. Some have a higher tolerence for pain than others.

Postby StevePain » 04 Nov 2010, 07:39

I had my Fissure for over 2 years and had LIS and Fissurectomy 3 months ago, any doctor that says you'll be ok with just Panadol after the procedure is obviously uninformed on the procedure, I.E. They have very little knowledge on rectal pain. Here in the UK we don't have a choice in the CRS that performs our surgery since it's NHS, unless you pay privately for the op which would cost a fortune, if you're in the US you can pick and choose, if you live in the US I'd shop around for the one that has performed the most LIS and high success rates.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Nov 2010, 15:07

I have to agree with Dawn - I read about hundred post-op stories by now (on this and other sites).
One just never knows what level of pain one will have post -LIS Image Some people have minimal discomfort (as I had first time around - had one pain med same day surgery was and than Tylenol was enough) or some can have strong discomfort (after more invasive procedures as I had second time around with 2 skin tag removal, fissurectomy , LIS combined etc). BUT - for me any pain was worth healing !!!! I just refused being a slave to my butt Image !!!!
So, I agree with Dawn- your first CRS was not in any "la-la land" , he just gave you the best case scenario which does exist by all means Image !
Yes - ask about anesthesia, where he performs LIS (hospital or surgi-center or god forbid office). Ask how soon he will ask you to have post-op exam. I preferred 2 week check-up and sooner if needed. I found many CRSs more available pre-op than after Image , and I did not like it !
Ask what pain management he will offer if you NEED more than just a Tylenol. If he is open for stronger meds- that is good !!!! You do not want CRS that dismisses that completely (which is insane !!!!!!).
Ask if he ever had a case of incontinence happening after the LIS . He should have straight answer - NO !!!!! They can not lie about that so if he starts "escaping" the strait answer- be weary.
Ask how many LIS surgeries he had in his life and how many a month he performs ? The answer should be something like this :" oh lol, I stopped counting after 500, but I perform one at least 4 times a month !"
Ask if he always work with the same crew during surgery - same anesthesiologist, nurses and such - it is important that he does since than they all are well trained team.
Ask what days he performs surgery - they usually have 2 days a week reserved for that , so you can plan accordingly.
Ask for how many years he is CRS - should be at least 15 years.
Best of luck with your appointment Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61