Set back

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Set back

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2007, 09:29

Had another set back 2 days ago. God will this ever end! It wasn't even a particluarly rough BM but it aggravated the fissure. I immediately went out and got Colace. Starting taking 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night. Felt nothing the first day but today had a very "explosive" BM. Not good. Do you guys think I should cut back on the Colace or this natural when starting to take it?
I feel like the Nifedipine is starting to help (I've been on it for a week) but I know if I don't stop retearing its going to be useless in the long run.
I know I'm not back at square one cause the pain is not as bad as when I began this journey but its certainly a set back. Just trying desperately not to fall into despair and obviously avoid surgey.

Re: Set back

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2007, 09:37

Sets backs are so common with this type of injury because that area is always getting aggravated every day since you can't immobilize it and by nature it is very dirty.
When I took Colace I didn't experience anything explosive but it may be your body is sensitive to it. You could try just taking it once a day and see if that gives you the desired result.
I am glad that after a week you are noticing some improvement with the medicine. It is like watching grass grow to see the fissure healed though but it can happen. It took me 4 months of creams and baths 3 times a day for mine to heal.
Hang in there!

Postby buttgirl » 03 Aug 2007, 09:46

We all experience setbacks. It's part of the process of healing such a sensitive, yet often used area.

Stool softeners shouldn't cause explosive bm. Actually, docutase sodium has very little effect on me unless I take two pills with each meal. (My dr said 6-10 a day is alright for me while I'm still healing, though I only take 4 at most.) So I would keep up with the Colace and also eat foods that you know won't upset your tummy at all.

Also, you might want to try methylcellulose instead of grain fiber like psyllium or metamucil. I find it better for keeping my stools soft--the others aer scratchy and don't seem to retain water as well.

I know it's hard, but take it in stride. I've often found that the pain of a "setback," hasn't indicated much of a setback. Sometimes the soreness is way out of proportion to the wound.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Colase

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2007, 09:57

I take 300ML a day and have for about 4 weeks, I don't really get anything beyond soft.

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2007, 11:55

thank you all. I'm glad I found the forum. Its great to have such an awesome support group.