My LIS experience

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My LIS experience

Postby jettaTDi » 06 Nov 2010, 15:12

I still remember the day my fissure showed up. I had just landed in London and arrived at my hotel, went to the bathroom and BAM it was like someone had stuck a knife inside me!! Well I lived with my little devil from December '08 to August '09. Life was turned inside out, I had no insurance due to loosing my job July '08.
In July I was laying on my couch writhing in pain after a BM. My mom was over and saw me with my legs elevated (believe it or not this helped with the spasms). She told me I was white as a ghost and I believe her. Well she had me scheduled with a CSR the following week. The doc diagnosed me with a fissure and explained that at it's depth LIS was really the only choice. I also had a growth that would protrude evertime I went to the bathroom, which only compounded the pain because i'd have to push it back in. I thought it was a "roid" but the doc explained post-op that it wasn't. She sent it off for biopsy and it came back benign, BUT she wants to see me yearly now in case other growths come back. My surgeon truly was a godsend. She worked with me on price since I was paying cash, and did the procedure at an outpatient sugery center which saved me a ton too.
I was terrified for the first BM, but honestly there was no fissure pain. The only pain I experienced was burning, to which jumping in the tub eased after about 30 seconds. I took a percocet the first day but found advil worked just fine at easing any discomfort. It probably took two weeks before I really started feeling great and the burning during a BM subsided as the fissure healed. The bleeding went away after about two weeks too but a little during the third week, but no pain.
I'm now 11 months post-op and my fissure is GONE. I'm back in the gym getting the body back that I had before my little devil showed up, and i've never felt better.
I lurked here after I found out I had a fissure, reading success stories. I just wanted to share mine. If your scared about having LIS done I totally understand, but honestly, it will be the best decision you ever made.
jettaTDi

Topics: 1

Re: My LIS experience

Postby Guest » 06 Nov 2010, 22:01

Great post Jedi. Glad your fissure is healed and you shared your story. I recently had LIS too and I'm very Happy with the results also. :)
Post like this will give hope and take the fear out it for others Image