LIS Question

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Question

Postby Deleted User 437 » 15 Nov 2010, 11:15

I have one of those tight butts that makes it almost possible to have a strain free BM. I have had a fissure for what is probably years now but it only became really bad in the last 4 months. I am wondering if the LIS surgery permanantly "loosens" you up down there?
Thank You
Deleted User 437

Re: LIS Question

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2010, 22:02

Hey Fiberup,
I will try to answer your question. Hopefully others will chime in...
I recently had LIS and yes it does loosen things up. They cut the internal anal muscle ( sphincter) which allows the spasms and tightness to go away so that the fissure can heal. It is suppose to be permanent. It will be looser right after the surgery and tighten back up some over time, but if all goes well, it will not return to original strength as before the surgery.
If you have had fissures for years and have to strain to have BM's then you would probably benefit from LIS. The tightness is what happens when the anal muscle is in spasm.

Postby PaulsPain » 16 Nov 2010, 08:26

I suffered for years with a fissure and finally had a LIS last Jan. As Dawn mentioned it does loosen things up. For me, I didn't feel major differences but it did heal the fissure that I had for years. The group of CRS's in my area are very conservative with the cut.
Here is interesting research paper on this exact subject that I have read.
Link: Internal Anal Sphincter Function Following Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy for Anal Fissure
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby StevePain » 16 Nov 2010, 10:55

I had LIS over 3 months ago, it definitely loosens up the sphincter and makes it easier to pass BIG stools and allows you to push more (if needed), obviously the sphincter will regain some strength over time but the fissure should be fully healed by this time, hopefully!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Deleted User 437 » 16 Nov 2010, 11:21

Thank You all for the great info. I really appreciate it. I'm going to the CRS on Thursday to schedule the LIS. I've had it with this thing. I've read your experinces and although it's been tough for you at times, it seems like it is well worth it.
Deleted User 437