Life after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Life after LIS

Postby kerplunk17 » 16 Nov 2010, 18:00

Hello all,
I have never made a post before, however I have browsed the forums for the last few weeks.
I had my LIS surgery yesterday around 11 am. I was so scared before I went in. The nurses and doctors did a great job calming me down. I hate needles and blood and have not spent much time in a hospital before. After the IV was in and they gave me "medicine" I was fine. I remember being wheeled into the operating room, talking to the doctors for a few minutes, and then the next thing I knew I was awake in the recovery room. And I felt GREAT! Then the anesthesia wore off...
I was able to go home around 3 pm. They gave me a sitz bath and a box of 4 x 4 cotton cloths to take home, along with some medical tape and a few prescriptions. I was given percocet, flagyl, and another antibiotic, I can't remember the name and the bottle is upstairs. If anyone is interested in what it is let me know and I'll post it later when I get motivated to get off this couch lol.
Yesterday when I first got home I had a lot of pain, and I could not get comfortable. I had the feeling I really needed to urinate, but whenever I tried to nothing would come out. This, along with the pain, made it very difficult to get comfortable. After a few hours, a few sitz baths, and a few percocet I was able to get a little relief. Sleep came in 1-2 hour increments, each time waking up in pain.
As the next day (today) progressed the pain slowly subsided, I am sure that taking the percocet every 4 hours helps too. I have only eaten a little yogurt, a bowl of cheerios, and some bananas and apples. I had today what I guess you could call a bowel movement, it was watery like it was when I was taking the mirolax before the surgery. Is that bad?? I have also been taking stool softeners and fiber supplements.
The nurse from the Hospital and my surgeon both called me today and asked how I was doing. I thought that was very nice.
So basically, is this it? How much longer will I feel pain down there? I mean its sore now but I would say I am 2 of 10 on the pain scale. Not nearly as bad as I had anticipated. Is this because I still haven't had a real solid bowel movement? Will that hurt more? I am scared after reading a ton of posts about complications and the like...
Thanks for reading
-Dustin
kerplunk17

Topics: 1

Re: Life after LIS

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2010, 19:07

Hey Dustin,
You will be sore for awhile after LIS. Everyone is different on their healing time, but many feel a noticeable difference by week 2. I could see improvements week by week with mine. I don't think loose stools can cause damage to your procedure or anything but have read they can burn and irritate you. I don't know if you are aware but flagly can and usually does cause loose bowel movements and since you are taking two antibiotics, that's probably what's causing the loose bm's.
You may want to try and bulk up your stool with a fiber supplement or cut down or out the stool softener if the loose stools continue until you finish the antibiotics?!
Good luck with your recovery:)

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2010, 19:11

pss... Dustin, stay with the good diet for fissures while you are recovering and take your warm baths. There's a lot of good tips on the diet and supplement threads.
Did you just have LIS? The first night, I woke up every 4 hours and knew it was time to take my pain meds, but the 2nd night I slept right through. Hopefully this will go by quickly and you will do the same soon:) Just be patient and take it easy and rest. By this time next week, you will probably see a big difference.
Last edited by Guest on 16 Nov 2010, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Postby kerplunk17 » 16 Nov 2010, 19:14

Thanks Dawn I am definitively sticking to a better diet. When I do decide to start eating full meals again they will be well balanced. I just had the surgery yesterday so hopefully I can sleep tonight!
kerplunk17

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2010, 19:17

Your welcome :) It will get better. You'll see:) It's scary but each week you will look back and see improvements.
Eat well as soon as you can, it will help with your healing and bowel movements. Just be sure and avoid all the foods that are bad for your fissure while recovering. Take care.