day 2 report (and more questions for experienced LISers)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

day 2 report (and more questions for experienced LISers)

Postby mrfissure » 19 Dec 2010, 14:29

Mrfissure here again, two days post-op. My CRS told me that BMs would get better immediately. That was definitely not the case today: I had a BM that was as bad as the ones I used to have in my worst fissure days: shards of glass, seeing-stars pain, a burst of blood, took about 10 minutes to get back on my feet.
Sorry for being so graphic, but I'm also getting worried because I feel a lump, a knot, something kind of hard and strange next to my sphincter, on the outside, I think it's on the side where the incision was made. That seems to be where all the pain is coming from. It hurts to touch it, and I can't sit normally without putting pressure on it, which hurts. That's new for me--I never had trouble sitting before. I don't think there's any discharge though.
Is all this "normal"? Have others had anything similar? I'm worried that I'm developing an abscess or that something else is wrong. My dr. insisted that abscesses are extremely rare and sort of laughed when I asked about the possibility (before surgery). But she also insisted that I'd feel a lot better immediately, and that is definitely not happening yet.
mrfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: day 2 report (and more questions for experienced LISers)

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Dec 2010, 14:45

Having a lump/swelling immediately after surgery is not unusual. I wouldn't worry too much just yet. After all, you did just have your anal area cut, right? That's going to leave some trauma. As for sitting, not being able to sit properly after LIS is completely normal. Some of us couldn't sit for way longer than a few days.
I think honestly a lot of your concern has to do with the fact that your CRS gave you unrealistic expectations. IMO you really need to ignore those ludicrous expectations. I can't reiterate enough just how absolutely ridiculous a recovery timeline of one day is. If you look at that as the normal trajectory, you're going to be disappointed. But if you look at the more realistic timeline of weeks to months for completely recovery, then the first couple of days are required for just the initial pain and swelling to subside. Don't stop being vigilant and keep a close eye on the area, but do so independently of any laughable "feel better after one day" mumbo jumbo.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby mrfissure » 19 Dec 2010, 15:20

Thanks for the reassurance NG. I understand that it's going to take a lot longer than what my dr. said, and that's OK, as long as I get there eventually. So far though day 2 feels a lot worse than day 1, which surprises me. But I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see how it goes.
mrfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby StevePain » 19 Dec 2010, 15:29

Just take it day by day, I was told I'd be ok within a week to resume normal activities, this was clearly not the case and even now I'm not 100% but there you go, time is a great healer, patience and time is what you need, that sphincter will be in shock after the cut, plus the swelling and bruising, take plenty of rest also...
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Dec 2010, 15:35

Yup the healing curve is a bit ummm "non-linear" might be the best way to put it. As in you won't necessarily always feel better than the day before. In the big picture, you'll be making forward progress, but sometimes there will be small setbacks here and there.
The first 3-4 days after surgery, I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of what was happening with my butt. So hang on tight -- you're early in the recovery process, but the good news is that the hard part is already over with.
Also, if you want to know what the area looks like, you can try squatting and looking in a little cosmetic mirror to see rather than touch it. I know I didn't want to touch the area for the first few days after surgery, but was really curious as to how things were going, and my wife's cosmetic mirror fit the bill perfectly!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure