Fiber make things worse?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fiber make things worse?

Postby Ryan31 » 24 Dec 2010, 09:51

Anyone ever seemed to have fiber make things worse?
I was taking metamucil and it seemed to make my stools too big and didn't soften the begging of the stool which caused more bleeding from the Anal Fissure.
3 days ago I started Miralax and Fibercon and that just seems to make the stool even bigger and so far hasn't done anything for the first few inches of my stool being very hard (rest of it is very soft, but still big!).
After a week of very hard stools I just knew the bleeding was going to start again and it did today. I really though Miralax would help, now I am just stuck with big stools with the same problems.
Ryan31
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Fiber make things worse?

Postby cherylk » 24 Dec 2010, 12:20

Try dividing your Miralax into 2 separate doses to keep everything soft.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 24 Dec 2010, 14:15

Hi I have just googled Fibercon and see its a fibre (sorry uk!) supplement. I haven't used that one but have used 'Fybergel' in the past. I assume it would work the same way. Part of its working is that it absorbs liquid to keep the stool soft but the disadvantage is that it has the effect of making the stools larger.
My CRS told me to use the laxatives but not the fibre supplements at the moment because of this. Three times a day with food and plenty of drinks. Not saying this is right for everyone but you might like to try just the laxatives for now in the absence of an alternative suggestion. Really hope you can sort this out, it just makes a BM a hideous proposal when its so painful.

Postby happyass » 24 Dec 2010, 15:40

another approach ryan31 is to see if you can add up taking between 40-45 grams of fiber via natural foods per day.
if you can achieve that, then you certainly would not need to add another product to help provide you with your daily goal of fiber.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby suzyljank » 25 Dec 2010, 09:04

Hi, fiber can make things worse if you take too much or start taking too much at once. I had to start taking it slowly until I got up to the 25 grams I needed a day. If you start with too much you can get bloating, gassy and have too many bms in one day. If you add it gradually it's not so bad. I now take benefiber 3 times a day and miralax before I go to bed. One important thing to remember, if you don't drink enough fluids in a day the fiber doesn't work as well. It needs liquids to help it through your colon. Hope you find what works for you. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby cherylk » 25 Dec 2010, 09:20

Right, Suzy! I have heard that fiber with not a sufficient amount of water can actually contribute to constipation!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46