Fissue healed? But have abscess possible Fistula

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissue healed? But have abscess possible Fistula

Postby Guest » 07 Aug 2007, 17:41

Looks like I'm headed for exploratory surgery. Went to my Gastro and CRS today after a abscess broke on Sunday (I've found a good use for my wife's panty liners!). The CRS said it is likely I have a Fistula but will not be sure until he has a better look under anesthesia. I'm scared big time - he may do a fistulectomy - I've told him only if it is a short and simple case - discussed glue and collengen plugs but I guess their rate of success is not always high.
In less pain than ever but extremely worried about surgery.
He could not easily find my fissure (8 o'clock position), so I think it's healed but he thought I had one at 12 o'clock near the abscess. So I guess I'm simply trading one problem for another. My fissue healed (if it has really healed) in a few weeks (probably 7 weeks total - but 3 -4 weeks after really eating healthy). I was confused by the pain the abscess was causing which was the subject of a few recent posts.
Where does/did everyone have their fissure? 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock. The CRS thinks anywhere but 6 or 12 is an indicator of other problems.

Re: Fissue healed? But have abscess possible Fistula

Postby dano » 07 Aug 2007, 21:39

sounds kinda like me,my fissure is better,but i have this puffy,clearish leaking thing near my fissure,it doesnt really hurt,but seems awfully close to the fissure site,so it cant be helping matters any. i go back to the dr in less than a month so i'll let him look around then..my fissure is like almost at 12 o clock..like 11:40 or so..unsure if its am or pm though
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

May want to go to the Dr earlier

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2007, 06:53

You may want to go to the Doc earlier. If it's just an abscess a CRS can drain and clean it and there is a 50% chance that's all that will be needed. Otherwise it may be a Fistula which typically require surgery. Go for sure if you feel like you have a fever.

abscess or cyst ?

Postby timber318 » 24 Aug 2010, 04:34

Well, here's my update... My fissure at 6:00 is healed . I now have developed a red, blister looking bump near my anus at about 5:00 or so. HMMM... doc say's "OH it's just possibly an ingrown hair or cyst.After close inspection on my own it is def not an ingrown hair.I can feel discomfort from it, going for a colonoscopy thursday and got a referal FINALLY for a Gastro ( endoscopy will be done also ) due to my bloating when I eat or drink, fatigue,bleeding still from rectal w/bm's although she said it's not due from fissure or hemmie's. . Im also going for more blood work ( did get checked for anemia today) Got released to return to work (yeah right !! ) Has anyone experienced this type of problem ? I think it may be an abscess....... Image Image Image
timber318
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 24 Aug 2010, 08:01

Timber,
I've not experienced anything like this but I hope others on here can help you. Please keep us updated on how it goes with your colonoscopy Thursday.
I know how frustrating butt problems can be and I hope you get answers soon.

Postby StevePain » 24 Aug 2010, 09:40

My fissure was diagnosed at the 12 o'clock position which is a common place along with the 6 o'clock position, but anywhere else could signal an underlying cause, I.E. Crohns, Coeliacs, IBD or something else, definitely worth investigating further
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Aug 2010, 11:06

I had a red bump basically right at the anus following LIS. In my case it was indeed an abscess (complication of LIS) which had to be surgically drained. I got a real good hint that it was an abscess even before the doc saw it because it was leaking nasty stuff (yellowish pus) and hurt pretty bad to sit on. There are other possibilities like hemorrhoids of course but if it looks fluid filled, then it's certainly possible that it's an abscess, unfortunately :(
BTW my fissure was around the 12 o'clock position. "Around" meaning it wasn't exactly at 12 o'clock, but maybe a couple of degrees off center. Anywhere but 12 or 6 o'clock can indeed potentially suggest other underlying conditions, but there aren't any absolute rules here. But the doc is doing the right thing by scoping to check.
I know it doesn't help much right now, but multiple fissures at unusual locations and recurrent abscesses can be signs of Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. You should have answers after the endoscopy and colonoscopy. Ulcerative colitis is limited to the colon, and Crohn's can affect anywhere between the mouth and the anus, so you'll have all bases covered.
Out of curiosity, how does the doc know the rectal bleeding during BMs isn't from hemorrhoids or fissures? Is it from the color (usually bleeding further up the GI tract is darker in color) or simply because no rectal bleeding can be visualized during the exam?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby afugh!! » 24 Aug 2010, 13:32

We seem to be on the same boat,fissure is healing but I got to have surgery for the fistula.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby timber318 » 25 Aug 2010, 10:40

Well, the doc said it wasn't blood from hemmie's or fissure due to it being anywhere from red to dark red w/clot's & usually after my examination's I do bleed slightly upon the removal of the scope & the finger but this time I didn't.I suppose that's why she's suspecting another location.Right now I'm still experiencing bloating & everything else but like you all have said at least after all the procedure's I will hopefully have some answer's.I'm doing the prep now & will update tmrw when I get home... Have a good day everyone !!
timber318
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 26 Aug 2010, 00:33

Hey there, hope things went okay today with your procedures and you either got the "all clear" or at least got some answers.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure