Nifedipine Ointment

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Nifedipine Ointment

Postby mm92599 » 30 Dec 2010, 23:12

I have been taking .5% Nifedipine Ointment about three times per day for the past year. The medication was prescribed to me by a Uroligist who runs a pelvic pain clinic in California who prescribes it for people with chronically tight sphincters, but not specifically for anal fissures. I was wondering if anyone knows of any adverse side effects from using nifedipine ointment for an extended period of time. I have seen posts about Nitro ointment causing external hemmorhoids, but I cannot find any literature that discusses problems with using nifedipine for long periods of time. I have been having issues with, what I think is some sort of external hemorrohoids or other unknown rectal pain, that seems to have become more consistent in the past year, but the Nifedipine may just be a coincidence. I'd sure like to know if there is any documented proof of problems being caused by the ointment.
mm92599
Salt Bather

Topics: 25

Re: Nifedipine Ointment

Postby cherylk » 31 Dec 2010, 08:21

Some people here have developed a sensitivity to the ointment after using it for several months (extreme itching).
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Jan 2011, 17:07

Sorry, I do not have any info. about that.
As with any medication, benefits have to exceed possible side effects for us to continue taking it.
I doubt that Nitro or Nifedipine can cause hemorrhoids , though , since they promote blood circulation and anus relaxation which both can only help with hemorrhoids, IMO.
Some CRSs even perform a LIS to help with hemorrhoids, as far as I know...There was actually a study about that.
All of those meds are blood -pressure meds and if I was using them long-term, I would worry more about their other side-effects on my body :roll:
Best of luck with it all !!! Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby desperatehousewife » 11 Jan 2011, 15:25

Did you get the surgery MM? I haven't logged on here in months, just curious to see what happened with you.
I went for physio for 7 weeks (2-3times a week). Made my fissure worse or reopened it, not sure which one is it and I couldn't tolerate the electric probe because of it. So I am scheduled for surgery again on Feb. 4th. The rectal heaviness/pressure/aching still there. Very very dissappointed. A second surgery makes me Scared... Scared.... Scared.
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby StevePain » 12 Jan 2011, 03:44

The thought of a second surgery makes me a bit worried too, I hope everything goes well for you dh.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45